Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Feedback

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Angela

Angela Report 21 Jul 2003 09:44

I know I'm not the only one who gets frustrated with the tips board and trying to find tips from only a few days ago... So a couple of days ago I asked "those in charge" whether they had plans to bring in a search facility like that on the trying to find board. Unfortunately today I received the following reply- "Thanks for your suggestion. We do not currently have any plans to add a search facility to the site. However, I have passed your suggestion on to our technical team who will certainly consider it for the future". So I got the brush off. But it got me thinking, maybe if more of you ask they start to listen! It's worth a try...

Andrea

Andrea Report 21 Jul 2003 12:05

Hi Angela. I posted the same message on the Guest board a while ago. There were a few people that agreed that it was a great idea. It is soooo frustrating when you know for definite that someone has recently asked a question that you now need the answer to but can you find it..... dream on!! This would help so much and stop all the questions being repeated when most of the time, it is simply because we can't find the message any more!

Andrea

Andrea Report 21 Jul 2003 12:09

Just out of curiosity Angela - how do you contact "those in charge"? I have seen replies from Stephen Pankhurst to some messages but I don't know of the direct route to get an answer to a question or query. Please let me know.

Angela

Angela Report 21 Jul 2003 12:12

Go to "Contact Us" on the left hand side then choose "Feedback".

Andrea

Andrea Report 21 Jul 2003 12:13

Oh yes! Now I see it - DUH!!! Thanks Angela!

Vera

Vera Report 21 Jul 2003 12:43

Hi all I have a tip you may find useful when searching for a message. On each page use the ctrl key then the F key (CONTROL and FIND)to get the Find box. Pick a word that is relevent, e.g. someone was looking for a web site on 'murder' so choose that word, and type that in the box marked Find what. Keep clicking on FIND NEXT until the message 'Finshed searching the document' appears. The word 'murder' will be highlighted on the page, if it is there. Try each page in turn by clicking on Find Next (or return). It takes a while but much better on the eyes than reading them all again. Hope that helps Vera Manchester LAN

Sue in Sx

Sue in Sx Report 21 Jul 2003 18:48

Brilliant - thanks Vera - it was me that was looking for the original murder question - i'm going to try it right now! Sue.

Shelli4

Shelli4 Report 21 Jul 2003 19:06

Nice one Vera never knew that before Shelli

JillGr

JillGr Report 21 Jul 2003 21:56

Thanks Vera, The problem is that little gems like this are lost on this board. I'm shoving it up to the top again to give a few more people the chance! Jill