Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Family tree chart

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Lisa

Lisa Report 21 Jul 2003 17:12

Does anyone know where I can get a family tree chart poster, in A2 format, or something similar. I know there are lots of software out there that will do the same but i would prefer a paper one that I can add too. Anyone have any suggestions?

Christopher

Christopher Report 21 Jul 2003 20:34

Lisa, Have you thought of a notice/cork board? If you start with small family groups and tack/pin them to the board, as your family tree expands you can move them about, linking them by string. By doing this you can see both paternal & maternal geneology at the same time. This not only saves on paper but stops you having to redraw your tree each time new information comes to light. Should you ever complete your Family Tree Chart, or come to a stage where you want a formal copy, then the information laid out on the noticeboard can be copied and redrawn onto your A2 sheet of paper. I hope this helps, Chris

Janet

Janet Report 21 Jul 2003 20:49

Try acorns2oaks. They have all sizes and shapes of tree formats plus lots of other stuff. www.acorns2oaks.info/ Janet

Darren

Darren Report 21 Jul 2003 22:20

Try your local library, mine has them for sale. I find libraries are very helpful when it comes to Genealogy.

Marion

Marion Report 21 Jul 2003 22:42

For a large poster- size 33" x 23.5" cost £5 + £1.30 p/p and printed in 4 colours contact Yeovil Register office. Tel. (01935) 411230. I had details sent with a certificate and they look to be quite attractive.

Andrea

Andrea Report 22 Jul 2003 10:17

Lisa I am currently trying to draw my own family chart and it is proving to be somewhat of a challenge already (I started about half an hour ago!!). The reason there are so many problems is that not all my family is straight forward (in fact, very few are straight forward) and most of them have had at least two different partners, 3 in some cases. My point in telling you this is that if you buy a standard chart of some sort, this will presumably only have places for one, maybe two partners - if you have more, then the chart won't help much and you will have to do it yourself anyway. I would dearly love to have some sort of package or some such to help me draw the tree out as I am dying to see what it looks like in proper tree formation. The best I have managed so far is to draw lots of separate branches of the tree, but I have just ended up with loads of pieces of paper everywhere which is more of a pain than a help. Good luck though and I will be keeping my eye on this message to see if there are any good suggestions.

Lynne

Lynne Report 22 Jul 2003 10:47

I think Christopher's idea is brilliant, I will be organising myself very soon.Why are the most obvious ideas the last ones we think of!! Lynne

Lisa

Lisa Report 22 Jul 2003 11:57

Thanks for everyones help, will be off to get a cork board at the first chance. What a brilliant idea. Thanks.

Sue

Sue Report 22 Jul 2003 16:01

Lisa Comparable blank charts are available to purchase from genealogy printers. Join the 2 words together and add (.)com to get the website. I've looked at both sites and am tempted to stick with this one, having bought some 3ft x 2ft charts from them personally at a FHS Fair. Sue

Sarah

Sarah Report 22 Jul 2003 16:51

Hiya, I have just recieved a family tree chart from www.genealogyprinters.com It is poster size, but it only cost 4pounds (inc.Postage) and only took a day to arrive. Have a look at the website though, cause theres a few differnt type ones on there...Also if you have a gedcom, they can upload it and print you off a copy (although this costs anything from 20pounds upwards) But well worth a look anyway!!! Hope this helps! ta ta sarah

Alison

Alison Report 22 Jul 2003 18:06

I got a free chart through a link at the freebiers club, I dont know if its still on offer but try that