Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Internment in UK during WW1 or 2

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Steven

Steven Report 21 Jul 2003 20:43

I understand that my G.Grandpaernts came over from Holland or Germany mid 1800's na dtwo of their sons served in WW1, 1 losing his life at the Somme 1916. But it is rumoured that my G.G/parents were temporarily interned. Would there be a record somewhere. Can anyone help because I need to ascertain if the prefix "Van" was dropped from the name and when! Many thanks Steve

Linda

Linda Report 21 Jul 2003 23:10

Hi Steve, I found details of one of my relatives that died at the Somme on the Commonwealth War Graves Commission website. The address is www(.)cwgc(.)org/ (without the brackets). Sometimes the parents names are given with the memorial. Hope that helps. Linda.

Sue in Sx

Sue in Sx Report 22 Jul 2003 08:40

Steven - there is a short chapter in Tracing your Ancestors in the PRO.(got mine at the library). Also tells you how you might find something more locally i.e in the area that your ancestors were living. Sue.

Steven

Steven Report 22 Jul 2003 21:11

Dear Linda, Thank you , I found a brother of my grandfather in the War Graves site, that every one seemed to have forgotten about as he died at the age of 21. It is a shame that your parents forget about their uncle simply because he was not alive when they were born. At least I have found him , and can note his passing. Again thanks, Steve

Steven

Steven Report 22 Jul 2003 21:13

Dear Susan, Thank you for the PRO link, I will give it a shot. Many thanks, Steve