Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

marriage certificates

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Julie

Julie Report 23 Jul 2003 21:02

If the father of the bride or groom was deceased at the time of the wedding,would it state this next to where the name of the father is given on the certificate? I would be grateful of any guidance. Julie

We're all crazy now

We're all crazy now Report 23 Jul 2003 21:05

Hi Julie I have the marriage certificate of my great grandparents and the groom's father is clearly shown as 'deceased' on it. So it looks like the answer is yes. Jeannie

Julie

Julie Report 23 Jul 2003 21:12

Thanks Jeannie, None of my marriage certs had deceased by the fathers name so I was assuming they were still alive and it looks like I was probably right. Julie

Laura

Laura Report 23 Jul 2003 21:15

It should do but apparently it isn't reliable as wasn't always enforced. More accurate in later years

Debbie

Debbie Report 23 Jul 2003 21:16

On my nans marriage certificate it had her fathers name which was in fact her grandfathers name, but I knew he had died before she married it did not say deseased, so I am not so sure on that one. Debbie

BrianW

BrianW Report 23 Jul 2003 21:21

When my grandfather remarried at the age of 71, his father (who I know was deceased) is shown without comment whereas his bride's father is shown as (Deceased). So it can be inconsistent even on one certificate.

We're all crazy now

We're all crazy now Report 23 Jul 2003 21:26

Oh Dear Julie It looks like I was lucky with my certificate and as Brian says, even these are not consistant with the information. (When I added my first reply to this message and the confirmation screen appeared, another message appeared beneath mine stating that Scottish certificates do have this information, but English do not - that message has not appeared on the main board - where's is gone - another mystery!) Jeannie

Julie

Julie Report 23 Jul 2003 21:41

Thanks everyone, I thought it might not be that simple. I thought it might help trying to narrow down possible dates of death, but hey, no-one said that it was going to be easy! Julie

Helen

Helen Report 23 Jul 2003 22:55

Registrars just accepted the information given was correct, so if the bride or groom forgot to mention their father was deceased it wouldn't get recorded. Even nowadays very few checks are carried out. I never had to prove my identity when I married and the registrar just said if the information given was false the marriage could be void!