Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Army births

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Karen

Karen Report 25 Jul 2003 21:51

Can anyone help me? I am trying to research my Mothers family. My Great Grandfather was called Joseph Smith. We have a date of birth and a place found written in the family bible. However can't locate a birth certificate. We have always been told that his Father was in the Army and that he was born in Dover where his Father was stationed. Did the Army reqister their own staff families births etc and if so how can I obtain a copy of his birth certificate? All we know is his fathers name and job as noted on Joseph's marriage certificate and this could be wrong. I need apointer to put me straight. Can anyone help?

Sue in Sx

Sue in Sx Report 26 Jul 2003 15:09

Karen - if you hav'nt already found who you are looking for... There are Army regs. of births, most are held by the GRO and you can buy copies of the certs. The index's for these are at the FRC and the PRO - the index will give the name, place year and Regiment. Sue.