Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Cambridge Barracks in Portsmouth

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Lynne

Lynne Report 27 Jul 2003 14:04

One of my ancestors, John Cree, was a Colour Sergeant in the 32nd Regiment and was living in Cambridge Barracks when he married at Portsea Island in 1842. I have tried to find information via search engines but have had no success. Can anyone who lives in the area point me in the right direction to get information on this. I am trying to find out WHY he married there when he and his wife were presumably from Derbyshire. Any advice would be appreciated. Thanks Lynn

Unknown

Unknown Report 27 Jul 2003 14:16

Hi Lynne, I will have a look for you tomorrow when I am in Pompey. A possible reason for the marriage may be that he was being sent to war? I have found a lot of Isle of Wight marriages of people from all over the place, Wales, Germany and England. The names indicate that the Fiancees had travelled to the Island for the wedding. They certainly weren't local girls. Jim

Lynne

Lynne Report 27 Jul 2003 15:17

Thanks Jim I didn't know that Portsea Island was the same as the Isle of Wight. You learn something new every day, especially in this game. Lynne