Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Kemsell, Lancashire

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Robert

Robert Report 28 Jul 2003 20:20

Hi, Can anyone tell me if they know of a place called Kemsell in Lancashire. One of my relatives (Adam Fox, b. 1885)in 1901 census was recorded as being born here, but I can find no mention of it in gazetteers, multimap etc. I've tried all variants of the spelling but still no luck. My dad *thinks* that this relative could have been from Denton in Manchester (M'cr was previously in Lancashire). Can anyone confirm if Kemsell is a place in/near Denton or elsewhere? Thanks, Rob

Unknown

Unknown Report 28 Jul 2003 21:24

Rob I think you will find thie place is 'Skelmersdale' between Wigan and Ormskirk roughly. 1891 census checks this out RG/12 3044 Folio 13 Page 19 Adam Fox aged 4 living at 66 High St Skelmersdale Present day pronounciation is 'SKEMersdale' usually shortened to SKEM Hazel (Lancashire Lass thru' and thru')

Robert

Robert Report 29 Jul 2003 16:27

Hazel, Thanks for your reply, but I don't think that adam fox you found in the 1891 census is the same one I am looking at. I have found the same Adam Fox in 1901 census, still living in Skelmersdale, aged 13. Mine is aged 16 in 1901 census so would be 6 in the 1891 census (there are only 8 Adam Foxes aged 0-20 in the 1901 census). I don't have access to the 1891 census. Would you mind looking for an Adam Fox approx age 6 and checking where he was born for me (It may say something more helpful than Kemsell)? By 1901 he was living in Sheffield, but may have been somewhere else in 1891. Many thanks, Rob

Lynne

Lynne Report 29 Jul 2003 16:51

Could it be Kersall? I think there is an area of Manchester/Salford of this name which I have a feeling may be somewhere near Denton.I'm sure someone will correct me if I'm wrong.Good luck Lynne

Lynne

Lynne Report 29 Jul 2003 16:53

Sorry I can't look up for you, Lynne again

Vera

Vera Report 29 Jul 2003 17:04

Lynne & Robert Kersall is in the Higher Broughton, Salford area to the west of Manchester. Denton is to the east of Manchester and I cannot think of any name like Kemsell there. Another possible sound-alike is Crumpsall which is the north of Manchester. Roger - any other clues with the sibling birth places? Have you seen the image on the census? Sorry I can't help more than this. Vera Manchester LAN

Robert

Robert Report 29 Jul 2003 19:29

I have the image from the 1901 census. There is little doubt that the word written by the enumerator is "Kemsell" (although it possibly could be "Kernsell"). If this place doesn't/didn't exist, they must have mis-spelt it - quite easy if the homeowner didn't know how to spell it. The rest of the household were born in various places (none in Lancashire), so no clues from the names of nearby villages :-(. Rob

Robert

Robert Report 29 Jul 2003 19:34

Correction to what I just said: an older son and the mother in the household were born in Stockport. I didn't see the relevance because Stockport used to be in Cheshire. But I guess Stockport and the "Kemsell" place could be near to each other. Rob

George

George Report 29 Jul 2003 19:43

Could it be Kelsall which is in Cheshire. George

Robert

Robert Report 29 Jul 2003 21:06

George, Thanks, but that's near Ellesmere Port on the wrong side of Cheshire. I looked at a map, and Stockport is very close to Denton, despite being in a different county. Its possible that Kemsall is/was somewhere in or near Stockport. Or perhaps between Stockport and Denton. Rob

Unknown

Unknown Report 30 Jul 2003 13:58

Rob I have replied to your personal E mail before I read latest postings on here. Hazelgrove is near Stockport.