Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

1891 census lookup please

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Sharon

Sharon Report 29 Jul 2003 21:58

Could someone please look on the 1891 census to see if they can find a 'George HARNISS living in Hull'(possibly Glasgow street)profession-Farm Lab. I think he had a few sons Fred aged 16ish and Samuel. Also a William WOOD in Hull(also possibly Glasgow Street)profession-Gardener. He would have a daughter Edith aged 15ish. Thanks Sharon.

Kathleen

Kathleen Report 29 Jul 2003 22:20

Sorry Sharon I cant find either of them, Kathleen

Sharon

Sharon Report 29 Jul 2003 22:37

Thanks Kathleen, I was wondering if it wasn't too much trouble if you could check for George & Martha HARNISS with children Samuel and Fred (aged 16ish)in Ottringham,East Yorks(maybe Hessle?) as this is my only other lead so far.

Kathleen

Kathleen Report 29 Jul 2003 23:30

So sorry cant find one person with that surname on the census.Can you try different spelling,will have another go tomorrow for you.Maybe one of the more experianced members might have more luck for you Kathleen

Sharon

Sharon Report 29 Jul 2003 23:49

The alternative spelling is HARNESS. thanks Sharon

Kathleen

Kathleen Report 30 Jul 2003 09:22

Sharon have found this family Harness George b Ottringham 28,thrashing engine driver,wife Emma 25,daur Laura 8 all living at main St Burtswick York. Have you an age for George and I will have another look later Kathleen

Sharon

Sharon Report 30 Jul 2003 11:23

Kathleen, I think he maybe about 50/55. However I think that the George that you have found could be his son as My George did live in Ottringham with Martha and are both supposed to be buried there. On my ggrandparents marriage certificate it has Georges surname spelt'HARNIES'with a line through it and it rewritten above as'HARNISS'. I am also having trouble finding my GGrandparents on the 1901 census,after trying every different spelling of the surname and using wildcards I think I may have a match with the spelling of it as'HARRISS'(Fred b.1875 and Edith HARNISS nee WOOD)but I will see. Thankyou so much for looking for me. Sharon

Kathleen

Kathleen Report 30 Jul 2003 17:07

Hi again Sharon this is what Ive found Harry 28 Agr Lab,wife Eleanor 30 kids are George henry 8,Anna? Elizabeth 6 Fred 3 Harry? 19 mnts all called Harness living Heind House Sunk Rd? they also have william ? a nephew 3 months living with them.Also found at Millington Yorks a Pub cant make out what is called thisHarness family b ottringham Joseph 48 ,wife Mary 45, kids eliza 15 Edward 13 Tom 10 Lilly 8 Matilda 6Sabrina 4 George 4 months, Hope this all helps good luck Kathleen