Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Help

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Catherine from Manchester

Catherine from Manchester Report 31 Jul 2003 17:06

I have found my gg grandmother(Mary Brown) on the 1881. She is listed as married and living with her 3 sons. Says she's from Edinburgh. There is no record of her husband who I think was called William.I can only find a Mary Brown on the 1901 as a visitor says she's a widow. How am I going to find out her maiden name or where her husband is. catherine

Unknown

Unknown Report 31 Jul 2003 18:33

Hi Catherine, Try scotlandspeople(.)gov(.)uk for BDM's and censuses. Costs a little but well worth it. Regards Margaret

Catherine from Manchester

Catherine from Manchester Report 31 Jul 2003 19:17

Thanks to everyone who has responded. I have tried the scotland site before and it's very good, but with a name like brown it's a needle in a haystack job Catherine

Unknown

Unknown Report 31 Jul 2003 19:22

Hi Catherine, I agree, it could be a bit tricky with such a common name. I do have the 1881 Scottish Census - what year was she born - what address? Regards Margaret