Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

1891 Census request

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

George

George Report 31 Jul 2003 21:53

Hi Looking for the following: George Sunley, 21yrs, Mary A Sunley, 19yrs, John Sunley, 41yrs Julia Sunley, 10yrs Lillie Sunley, 14yrs Also need to know the address that Emily & Tillie Sunley were living at. They were working for the same family I believe also need Tillies age double checking, another member read it as 8. Thank you George

Laura

Laura Report 31 Jul 2003 21:58

Hi George, Pretty certain it says 8. I have been looking at the original copy and the transcript. Annoyingly there is no address on there for them. Will check for the others.

George

George Report 31 Jul 2003 22:02

I'm astounded that a family would send their 8yr old daughter into service. George

Laura

Laura Report 31 Jul 2003 22:14

Found John 42 born Hovingham (can't read his occupation - maybe Hunter?) Margaret E (wife) 43 born Haughton le Skerne Blanche 12 (daughter) John 7 (son) Charles 7 (son) James 2 (son) all born Darlington living in Darlington at 31 West(water?)(Northgate?) Not sure about the address as fairly unreadable. Although there is no address for Tillie btw it does give a parish as Gilling, Yorkshire. Can't find George. There is only one Mary with a connection with the area Mary A G 14 born Darlington now living Stutton with Hazlewood, Yorks (Nr Tadcaster) The site is too slow for me to try to identify the rest of her family now but if you think it's the right one I will do it early tomorrow. There are loads of them but I can't read all the names properly on the original and so will have to cross reference with the transcript. Let me know

Laura

Laura Report 31 Jul 2003 22:16

Maybe her sister was the servant and she was living/staying with her. It's fairly clear unlike some of them. You wonder how people who had such bad handwriting got that sort of job!!!

George

George Report 31 Jul 2003 22:19

Hi The Mary is'nt mine. Thanks George

George

George Report 31 Jul 2003 22:21

What family was Tilly working for? George