Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Confusion

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Dorothy

Dorothy Report 3 Aug 2003 11:50

I'm getting confused by the different records available. As the census and FreeBMD didn't tie up on a date of birth (1851 on the censuses, 1861 on FreeBMD I went to the local records office and searched the church baptism records. It became apparent that people in Glos. saved up a number of children and took them for baptism when they had three or four. Asked the official what difference this made to records and he muttered something about "if there were two dates...?". There weren't, and I'd given up by then. Now I'm wondering if baptism records are any sort of reliable guide and what their tie-up is with 1837online. Does anyone know the mechanics of the 1837 online site, as I am finding a number of errors there. I read an account by a historian who said that if the transcribers popped out for a cup of tea, they sometimes started at the wrong point when they came back, thus losing whole pages.

Laurie

Laurie Report 3 Aug 2003 12:00

Hi Dorothy, The www(.)1837online(.)com site as far as I know does birth, marraiges and deaths. I have ordered a number of certs from this site and come up trumps. With BMD they only have info that they have been given as far as I know. I have only had luck with one person on that site. With Baptisms it doesn't neccesarily mean that was the year they were born, I wasn't Baptised till I was 2yrs. So to me I wouldn't use it as guide for year of birth. However I am not sure if a Baptismal cert has the persons date of birth on it, somebody else might know that. Laurie

George

George Report 3 Aug 2003 12:02

One of my ancestors had three of his children baptised together in 1815 and first I thought they were triplets but then I found one of them on the 1881 and I realised that they were'nt. George

Alison

Alison Report 3 Aug 2003 12:17

It was very common for people to 'save up' and have three or four children christened at the same time. This is because it was less of an expense to celebrate the day all together than seperately. Prior to 1837 these are the only dates available to give a guide as to the birth dates of the chldren. Although it can give a very broad time scale do not discount them as it is still a useful rough guide. I have found it very useful when tracing back to the 1750's when birth records were not available. Alison