Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Pre 1837 searches

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Linda & Tim

Linda & Tim Report 4 Aug 2003 00:40

I've now got to the point where I've done the easy part and traced most of my family back four generations. However, all of my great great grandparents and their ancestors were, of course, born prior to 1837. Can anyone give me tips of where you start looking for birth certificates etc. when you can't use freeBMD and the GRO references?

Graham

Graham Report 4 Aug 2003 06:40

The LDS web site and the IGI is a good source of names and well worth a visit - other than that you might try the numerous message boards on the net which cover different counties, and from which I have had much success. Finally, and MOST importantly you will need to visit the local record office in the county of your search and view the parish records. Graham