Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

marriage certificates

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Janet

Janet Report 4 Aug 2003 14:55

This may be a silly question but, if a father is listed on a marriage certificate, would it show him as deceased (if he was dead) in the rank or occupation box, the father i have listed has an occupation, so can i presume he was still alive in 1894 thankyou

Alison

Alison Report 4 Aug 2003 14:58

On the Marriage certificate that i have with a deceased father it does state him as deceased and it also tells me what his occupation was. Sometines it just says deceased but does not state the name of the father or the occupation. I think that it depends on the registrar at the time. ALison

Janet

Janet Report 4 Aug 2003 15:02

thank you very much Alison, very helpful I thought that but just wanted to confirm, am struggling to find him on anything

George

George Report 4 Aug 2003 15:22

Not necessarily, on one of my marriage certs the father was known to be dead but it did not actually say deceased. George

Brenda

Brenda Report 4 Aug 2003 15:31

Janet I have certificates which state the name and then dead,some just dead/deceased,none of these show any occupation,I think it does depend on the registrer.brenda

Janet

Janet Report 4 Aug 2003 15:42

Thank you very much for the replies everyone regards Janet

BrianW

BrianW Report 4 Aug 2003 15:49

It's not even consistent on a single certificate, depends whether the registrar asked the right questions and whether (s)he got the right answers.