Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Pupil Teachers

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

George

George Report 6 Aug 2003 15:48

Hi I have ancestor who was a pupil teacher in the 1881 census, he was 16. I believe this is a form of apprenticeship. The only school records that have survived are the log books from his school. Where do I go from here? George

Pamela

Pamela Report 6 Aug 2003 23:19

Georgina, I have one too, it is worth getting a look at the log book, they may not mention him, but the one for the school mine went to gives details of when and how she started (transfered from another school) results of tests and when she left. Mine went on to become a certificated teacher, and I have located records of her training college, and through archives of the National Schools (at one of the London school of education libraries (I will have to look it up and will email you details) I have her application for a job after gaining her certificate. Pam

Tracy

Tracy Report 7 Aug 2003 08:23

Pam/George, I have two relations (both from the same family) that were Pupil Teachers in 1881 Census. How would I find out which school they worked/trained at and all the records? Thanks, Tracy

George

George Report 7 Aug 2003 09:13

Tracy, It could be hard to work out it out if your family lived in a City or big town. If they lived in a village like mine where there are only a couple of schools then its made slightly easier. What you could do is find your family on the 1881 census and skim up the street looking for signs of a school and name. George

Tracy

Tracy Report 7 Aug 2003 09:23

Hi George, Thanks for the info, I will try and see if I can find something there. Unfortunately, they both lived in Hunslet, Leeds which is miles away from me and probably not much of a village either!! Tracy

Pamela

Pamela Report 7 Aug 2003 10:43

There is a useful information leaflet on the PRO (National Archives) web site called Education: Records of Teachers (Domestic Records information leaflet 63. There is an archive of the British and Foreign School Society, at Brunel University Osterley Campus, www.bfs.org.uk. The archivist was particularly helpful to me. Trade directories can be helpful in giving information about what schools are in an area, the organisation operating the school, (BFS Soc or National Schools or church, local charity or school board etc.) Local CRO's often have relevant records. If you know what school an ancestor went to there may be a class list, records of results, reports, mentions in the school log (if they were particularly good at something or particularly naughty) If your ancesters were teaches in Stockport or Cheshire, a Miss A V Richardson has an index of Schoolmasters and mistresses and will do lookups by post if you send an sae. Pam Pam

George

George Report 7 Aug 2003 14:36

Update There were only about 3 or 4 schools in Alston by 1881. Sadly only the school log books for each of these schools have survived. There was a national school, a grammar school and a dame school. I have today contacted the British & Foreign School Society and look forward to receiving their response. The ancestor in question Louis Little does not appear on the 1891 or 1901 censuses. George

George

George Report 8 Aug 2003 11:05

Another update: Heard from the Archivist at BFS and he is going to do search of the records to see whether Louis attended one of their training schools. George