Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

US Social Security Number?

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Catherine from Manchester

Catherine from Manchester Report 6 Aug 2003 22:23

Hi Can anyone help me. I have found a connection on family search that is listed under the US section, but they show a social security number. Can anyone tell me where I go from here as this means nothing to me and gives me no information at all, apart from the date of death. Thanks Catherine

Crista

Crista Report 6 Aug 2003 22:37

Catharine, The Social Security Death Index usuallys shows where the number was issued, the dates of birth and death, and sometimes the county or ZIP code they were in. Crista

Catherine from Manchester Report 6 Aug 2003 22:41

Thanks Crista, but still only tells me the state the number was issued, date of birth and death and the fact that they died in Europe. I want to know if this guy had kids and their names. How do I find this out. Is there a site whereby you can put in a ss No and get more details. Thanks Catherine

Crista

Crista Report 6 Aug 2003 22:54

Catharine, www.searchsystems.net has a listing of states. The available vital records for each state vary. Was this the site you were using? http://ssdi.genealogy.rootsweb(.)com Crista

Catherine from Manchester Report 7 Aug 2003 10:06

Hi Crista The site I found this info out was the latterday saints one, family search. Will try the ones you suggested though. Thanks again. Catherine

Moh

Moh Report 11 Aug 2003 09:54

If you do a search in Ancestrycom and follow the links it will give you the application form as well. I applied for my Aunt's SSDI this way. PS Why won't it let me put in a web link?