Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Occupations / Causes of Death

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Claire in Lincs

Claire in Lincs Report 7 Aug 2003 13:04

I have a book which lists occupations with their explanations, also a book which explains the 'causes of death' as written on death certificates, Im happy to do look-ups for anyone,

Linda

Linda Report 7 Aug 2003 14:49

Any idea what a "Water Labourer" was.This was an occupation for a relative in 1881 Co Durham. Thanks Lyn

Mystified

Mystified Report 7 Aug 2003 18:07

Could you look up 'billiard maker' for me? It's off the 1891 census but suspect it may be 'marker' but just in case Cheers John

Dorothy

Dorothy Report 7 Aug 2003 18:16

Would you look up Stationery Engine Driver, above ground work in the mining industry, looking after a pumping engine for water running into the mine I think Thanks.

Patsy

Patsy Report 7 Aug 2003 18:16

Hallo Claire Is there a "calico painter" in your book? I do wonder what future generations will make of our occupations (software designer? I wonder what he did!), we are having so much fun with our ancestor's! Thankyou Patsy

George

George Report 7 Aug 2003 18:47

Amanda, I found this on another site: progressive muscular atrophy This is a form of motor neurone disease (MND). Progressive muscular atrophy results from a lesion of anterior horn cells. The presentation is with asymmetrical limb wasting and weakness progressing to a condition where lower motor neurone signs predominate. PMA accounts for 15-35% of cases of MND (1). George

Nicki

Nicki Report 7 Aug 2003 19:10

John, I too have a list of occupations but unfortunately it isn't very comprehensive however I have found 'Billiard Marker'. It states: Employed in a gentleman's club, hotel or billiard hall to regulate the game of billiards, keep score, and hold stakes if wagers were made, even after marking boards were in use. At the turn of the century many large houses had their own billiard room and a manservant was often designated as a marker. Hope this helps.

Tracy

Tracy Report 7 Aug 2003 22:30

Love to know what a 'Stationary Engine Driver' is? Similar to the mining one, but I have two lads working at the local Steel Works in Northumberland in the 1901 Census. Also a cause of death I have for 1901 is 'dislocated liver'. Any ideas? Thanks. Tracy

Elaine

Elaine Report 7 Aug 2003 22:31

Hi Claire,thanks for your kind offer,could you please look up the occupation ROUND INSPECTOR,this apparently is what my g.grandfather did according to 1901 census.I know he was a long serving soldier so wondered if it was to do with ammunition.I've looked everywhere and nothing.Thanks very much,Regards,Elaine.