Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

The Plague?

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Trish

Trish Report 8 Aug 2003 15:37

Have got stuck on a Jonathon Bowdery who married a Dorothy Blunt in 1669 High Wycombe. Have tried unsuccessfully to find the birth of Jonathon in Bucks and surrounding areas. I have now got to thinking that his family may have escaped from London when the plague hit there. Is there anywhere on line (apart from Freebmd)where I can search for him? Money VERY limited so can't join any of the money making sites! Visiting London is also out of the question. Thanks.

Jane

Jane Report 8 Aug 2003 16:06

I don't know if this will help but it's a great site anyway! Try a2a(.)pro(.)gov(.)uk - remove the brackets - it's a free site and has archives going back to the 900's -it includes things like quarter session records, planning applications, records of child support and all sorts of interesting things - as I say it may not help but worth a look anyway! Good luck Jane

Maxine

Maxine Report 8 Aug 2003 20:40

Hi Trish I'm afraid I can't really help, but I just wanted to say "Well Done" for getting back to 1669, I know how hard it gets before 1837, so it's a great achievement. I think I should be the one asking for the tips from you!!! Regards Maxine

Trish

Trish Report 9 Aug 2003 11:14

Many thanks Jane and Maxine, I have tried the A2A before but with no luck -good site though. I've been lucky getting back to where I am because of the surname and the fact that they (mostly) stayed put in the same area. Trish