Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

1901 puzzle

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Rosi

Rosi Report 11 Aug 2003 14:14

Can anyone help please. I have tried to find a Harry Chrighton on the 1901 - I believe he was a Scotb but was living in London probably Woolwich/Plumstead. I tried to find him first using the 1901 decoder, and searched for any male Chrighton in London aged 45 +/- 45 with no result. I then went to the census without the decoder and I think I entered the same criteria and received about 10 entries - which were too small to read (poor old girl). So went back to the decoder and tried again. Try as I might I cannot get the entries up again! Is it me, the decoder, or some gremlins elsewhere? can anyone help? Rosi

mab

mab Report 11 Aug 2003 16:09

You get a few with 'Harry Crighton', one born in Plumstead & living in Woolwich, none from Scotland though. There is a 'James Crighton' b Scotland living in Plumstead, age 47

Rosi

Rosi Report 11 Aug 2003 21:40

Thankyou - maybe that is the answer - I was using Chrighton and /or Crighton. Thankyou very much I will have another go! Rosi

Unknown

Unknown Report 11 Aug 2003 22:00

Hi Rosi, In Scotland Harry is often used as a nick name for Henry. My Father-in-law is a Harry/Henry. I had a look on the 1881 Scottish Census and found 11 Henry Crichton's and 1 Harry (born USA!). Let me know if you need any details of those. Regards Margaret