Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Now not so elusive I hope - Sarah Jane Pilton

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

AnninGlos

AnninGlos Report 12 Aug 2003 20:54

Today I received a birth cert for Sarah Jane Pilton who I thought was husband's Grandmother. Her marriage cert gave age as 18 in 1879. Sarah Jane Pilton born August 1861 had Father William and mother Caroline and was born in Yarcombe district Chard. 'Our' Sarah Jane was born in Membury Devon but I though Chard was a possible reg. district. 'Our' srah Jane had Father Robert so not the right one. I have checked 1837 for 1859 - end 1862 and there are no more Sarah Jane Piltons. Has abybody any suggestions, I need to pick a few brains on this one. (My only thought is that she could have been registered under Mother's maiden name but how do I find Mother without birth cert. can't trace a robert Pilton marrying. Incidentally proved it was the wrong one because these Piltons from Yarcombe are on 1881 census with Sarah still at home age 19. 'Our Sarah is on 1881 married. Ann Glos

Heather

Heather Report 12 Aug 2003 21:22

Ann have you got her death certificate? although i suspect it has probably got pilton down as her maiden name? other than that i'll put thinking cap on. hevi

AnninGlos

AnninGlos Report 12 Aug 2003 22:06

Hevi, no don't know her date of birth. And Debbi, there weren't any Sarah Piltons born in the area either. I printed off all the pages so i can lok back. There was a Jane Pilton registered Chard but I am loathe to send for that as well. I could try and find the 1871 census I suppose she should have been about 10 then so would have been living with her family. I could go for Robert in 1871 (just thinking aloud)..Is 1871 on line anywhere? ann Glos

Crista

Crista Report 13 Aug 2003 08:03

Ann, There's a Robert Pilton married to a Rebecca Pilton and living in Stockland. Stockland is in the Axminster district like Membury Robert PILTON Head M Male 73 Colyton, Devon, England Ag Lab Rebecca PILTON Wife M Female 62 Ofwell, Devon, England Earnest S. PILTON Grand Son Male 2 Stockland, Devon, England Dwelling Millhays Census Place Stockland, Devon Crista

AnninGlos

AnninGlos Report 13 Aug 2003 15:58

thanks Crista, only just got back on. Which census was that? 1881? I picked up a Robert 45 and Rebecca 35 in the 1851 with Elizabeth age 10, Rebecca age 7, Fanny age 5 and Tom age 2 all the children born in Membury, wife born Honiton and Robert born Southleigh, living in Membury. I had also found the one you found in 1881. Ann Glos

Margaret

Margaret Report 13 Aug 2003 21:11

Have you tried variationson the spelling? Pillton even Bilton

AnninGlos

AnninGlos Report 13 Aug 2003 21:23

I have to say a big thank you to Robin Haigh as it looks as if he has found Sarah for me, in the first quarter of 1863. So on her wedding certificate she was a year out with her age. I didn't look far enough but I took the age on the marriage certificate to be correct. So here is a lesson to all of us and a big thank you to Robin for putting me right. Cheers Robin, I owe you a favour. Ann Glos