Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Somerset 1851

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Vanessa

Vanessa Report 13 Aug 2003 09:46

I wonder if anyone has these CDs and would be kind enough to look up Henry Norman, abt 16 born Holton, and household. And possibly even Caroline Lye abt 11 born Compton Dundon. Many, many thanks.

Brian

Brian Report 13 Aug 2003 17:09

There is a Henry Norman aged 19 and his family on the 1851 census.Any good? No trace of Caroline Lye

Vanessa

Vanessa Report 13 Aug 2003 20:04

Thanks so much for looking up for me. Could you give details of household? This would change my life, genealogically speaking! Also, is there a Caroline Edwards born Compton Dundon. Although she was married as Caroline Lye (her mother was Mary), on her marriage certificate her father is named as John Edwards. Many thanks.

Brian

Brian Report 14 Aug 2003 08:29

Household was James 50 Ag Lab,Jane 43,William 21 Ag Lab,Henry 19 Farn(sic)boy,Harriet 11,Jane 5,Hannah 11mos. All born in Holton except Jane who came from North Cadbury No trace of a Caroline Lye in Compton Dundon but there was a Caroline Lee aged 10.Hope this helps

Vanessa

Vanessa Report 14 Aug 2003 15:59

This is brilliant, thank you so much. Just one more thing (!)....would it be possible to see if Caroline 'Lee' was living with a mother Mary? I feel Lye could have been transcribed incorrectly. Any others in the household? I really appreciate your help.

Brian

Brian Report 15 Aug 2003 11:40

A Mary Lye aged 44 married was living with a John Edward aged 49 Ag Lab.Also there is Eliza Edwards 8 and George Edwards 4.All were born in Huntspill.Note all but John are recorded as EDWARDS At another location is a Thurza Lye Servant age 14 and born in Compton Dundon.Caroline Lee was a servant in the household of John Marriott Farmer.She was born in Compton Dundon and is aged 10

Vanessa

Vanessa Report 15 Aug 2003 17:34

Thank you so much for this information. Interestingly, I have Thurza Lye as a witness at Caroline Lye's marriage. Am now completely confused about my ancestors' relationships. I shall have enormous fun trying to work them out. Many thanks.