Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Looking for good advise, surnames COAN/DOWLING

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Jacqueline

Jacqueline Report 15 Aug 2003 10:23

Only just starting out, recieved the first two marriage certificates yesterday and I already need to order more, as cannot find correct COAN on the 1901 census. Does anyone have any tips or advise for me starting out.

Angela

Angela Report 15 Aug 2003 10:42

Sometimes the spellings which are transcribed do not match with the primary documentation. Beware of this! You might need to also try Coen and various spellings of the first name. Can you give some more information? What are the names and ages of the people you are looking for? Do you know their place of birth? Would they appear on earlier censuses?

Jacqueline

Jacqueline Report 15 Aug 2003 10:42

sorry, I should have told you how far I have got. my great grand parents on my fathers side - MARTIN COAN BORN 1873 BIRKENHEAD MARRIED 11/05/1896 MARGARET O'HARE BORN 1871, I also know his father was Patrick Coan a Farmer and her father was James O'Hare a labourer. I looked up the two address on the marriage cert and found nothing, the address are 6 Paisley Street, Liverpool and 2a Regent Street, Liverpool. Has any kind soul got any ideas? jack

Jacqueline

Jacqueline Report 15 Aug 2003 10:44

I tried COEN, any ideas?

Crista

Crista Report 15 Aug 2003 10:59

Jacqueline, There's a Martin Coyne born in Birkenhead who is 26 and a coal hewer. Couldn't find a Margaret Coyne with him though. Crista

Angela

Angela Report 15 Aug 2003 11:06

There is a Margaret Cowen aged 29 born and living in Birkenhead, Soap Wrapper. I think this might be your best bet. Is it possible the husband had died?

Jacqueline

Jacqueline Report 15 Aug 2003 11:12

I have found a Margaret O'Hare born April-June 1871 on the Births register, West Derby 8b 522, i think my next step might be to get the birth cert to see if james is down as the father

Jacqueline

Jacqueline Report 15 Aug 2003 11:18

also on my grandmothers side Dowling is listed on the census at 24 Denison street, liverpool father lawrence aged 44, mother Catherine aged 34, Bridget aged 21 born apr-june 1880 reg liverpool 8b 92, how would i find out if Lawrence had been married before would i start with Bridgets birth cert, I dont know when lawrence and catherine got married? any ideas

Jacqueline

Jacqueline Report 15 Aug 2003 15:55

also look for any tips on the best package to store family tree info on.