Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

InnKeeper

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Meryl

Meryl Report 15 Aug 2003 20:52

Can anyone tell me if there is a web site where I can look up Inns for 1890,with the Innkeepers name, would this be on the census? Thanks Meryl

Ellen

Ellen Report 15 Aug 2003 21:49

I found my innkeeper ancestor on the digital library. try www.historicaldirectories.org You can use a keyword. I used his name but you could use a village or inn name.

Michael

Michael Report 15 Aug 2003 22:02

Hi Meryl, Dont know if this is any good to you, and I,m stretching the memory a bit now, when I was a young kid, about 1947/8, a "Dent" family ran a pub in Middle Street, Bevois Town, Southampton. Only two pubs in the street, The Bevois, still going, and another one, name forgotten, now private house. Do not know which one the Dents had. as I said, may-be nothing......but! Regards, Mick.

Meryl

Meryl Report 15 Aug 2003 22:09

Hi Mick Thanks for replying ,the Innkeeper )I am looking for is Thomas Thetford in 1890,got name from daughters marriage certificate, she was married in Plumstead,Kent (woolwich District) but was born in Norwich Norfolk ,from 1901 census, then again living in Norwich. I havent a clue where Thomas had an Inn can't find him on 1881 census. Meryl

Michael

Michael Report 15 Aug 2003 22:40

Hi again Meryl, As I said I didn,t know if it was any good to you. Just thought that it may have been a "family" thing, and a son or g/son moved to Southampton. Now and again little bits of info like this pays off, at least I hope it does. I would rather I was told of something which turned out to be no-good than not told of.... well, you know what I,m trying to say. Good luck with your search, Regards, Mick.

Sandra

Sandra Report 16 Aug 2003 03:57

www.historicaldirectories.org (Univ. of Leics database of local trade directories) covers dates 1860-1920 & has links to other sites. Only really useful, though, if you know the name & rough address.

Margaret

Margaret Report 16 Aug 2003 11:18

I've just tried to go on the site for historical directories at www.historicaldirectories.org I get the first page but when I try to enter the site it says "Connection Refused" Anyone any idea why this should happen? Margaret

Paul

Paul Report 16 Aug 2003 14:27

Have you tried a Trade Directory? There is some at my local libray for the Durham area. I found it really useful for getting addresses of business/residence. My GGG grandfather was a confectioner, and thanks to a Trade Directory I found his address on the 1851 Census. The building is a Pizza Hut now, right in the centre of Darlington. :)

April

April Report 16 Aug 2003 21:51

Hi Meryl Ive just checked the 1891 census theres a Thomas Thetford Innkeeper living in Wymondham,Norfolk age 61 wife Jane 64 daur Fanny E Hogan/Horan? widow age 37 and grandson Walter c Dobbs 1m the address looks like Suton St,the pub could be the Suton Sawyers. hope this is of help p.s. forgot to say that Thomas was born Trowse,Norfolk April

April

April Report 16 Aug 2003 22:12

I found this info on the Wymondham website. www.wymondham-norfolk(.)co(.)uk The Sawyers in Suton was an alehouse to the mid-18th Century. The build itself was much older and took its name from the local wood-working industry. In the 19th Century it was owned by Cann and Clarke's, brewers of Wymondham. It is now a private house. April

Meryl

Meryl Report 17 Aug 2003 13:00

THANKS everyone for your replys. Mick You're quite right, you never know when the little snippets might come in, I'll keep it handy for when I get that far back in Dents. A BIG thanks to you April, that is amazing, I'm really excited now,I found a web site yesterday about Norfolk pubs so I'll take a look at that and the Wymondham site. Thanks Meryl