Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

1881 scottish census look up please

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Sarah Jane

Sarah Jane Report 16 Aug 2003 15:36

Could someone with this census do a check on 327 Cannongate, Edinburgh. it should be John or his son Alexander Macdonald / Mcdonald as Head. If so I'd like to know the rest of the names there. Thanks

Alison

Alison Report 16 Aug 2003 15:49

Hi Sarah Do you have a place or DoB for either of these men? I had a quick look for John and Alexander Mac/McDonalds on familysearch.org and as you can imagine there are loads. If you could narrow it down a bit it would help. Alison

Sarah Jane

Sarah Jane Report 16 Aug 2003 16:23

I can't find a birth record for Alexander Macdonald, but know from a marrage record that he was 24 when he got married, in 14/11/1862. His father was John Macdonald married to Grace Cockburn in 30/5/1835, and Alexander's address when married was 327 Cannongate, Edinburgh. Really I'd like to find out if Alexander had any brothers or sisters. Is the oldest Scottish Census available on CD 1881?

Unknown

Unknown Report 16 Aug 2003 20:08

Hi Sarah, Do you have his 1862 marriage certificate? Do you know his wifes name and his occupation. I have had a quick look on the census and more info would help. Regards Margaret

Unknown

Unknown Report 16 Aug 2003 20:10

Thought this could be a posibility. Dwelling: Chalmers Close Census Place: Edinburgh Trinity College, Edinburgh, Scotland Source: FHL Film 0224000 GRO Ref Volume 685-3 EnumDist 3 Page 12 Marr Age Sex Birthplace Grace MC DONALD W 72 F Edinburgh, Scotland Rel: Head Occ: Greengrocer

Sarah Jane

Sarah Jane Report 16 Aug 2003 22:39

Margaret, His full name was Alexander Fraser Macdonald he was a Blacksmith, and was married to A Margaret Mckenzie. His Father John Macdonald was married to Grace Cockburn. I think the address from 1873 onwards was Greenside lane,row or place

Unknown

Unknown Report 17 Aug 2003 17:05

Hi Sarah, There was only one Alexander with a wife named Margaret around that time who happens to be a Blacksmith! Hope he's yours. Where did the Canongate address come from? Regards Margaret Dwelling: 33 Fielden Street Census Place: Barony, Lanark, Scotland Source: FHL Film 0203634 GRO Ref Volume 644-2 EnumDist 43 Page 9 Marr Age Sex Birthplace Alexander MC DONALD M 45 M Glasgow, Lanark, Scotland Rel: Head Occ: Black Smith Margaret MC DONALD M 45 F Glasgow, Lanark, Scotland Rel: Wife Helen MC DONALD 11 F Glasgow, Lanark, Scotland Rel: Daur Occ: Scholar James MC DONALD 8 M Glasgow, Lanark, Scotland Rel: Son Occ: Scholar