Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

LOOKING FOR METCALF!

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

*****me*****

*****me***** Report 16 Aug 2003 21:56

HI, I JUST FOUND OUT TODAY THAT MY GREATGRANDMOTHER WAS CALLED"ROSE METCALF"(ON MY MOTHERS SIDE) I BELIEVE SHE LIVED IN YORK, I WOULD THINK SHE WAS BORN ABOUT 1800s,AND LIVED IN A PLACE CALLED"THE SHAMBLES"(NEVER HEARD OF IT MYSELF) THATS ALL I KNOW,NOT MUCH TO GO ON,BUT IF TTHERE ARE ANY METCALFS OUT THERE,OR ANYONE WHO CAN THROW SOME LIGHT ON HER OR THE PLACE, I WOULD BE VERY GRATEFULL. THANKS, CHRIS.

Crista

Crista Report 16 Aug 2003 22:11

Chris, You want to put this message on the Trying To Find board. That way, anyone with the name Metcalf in their family tree will see this message on the Name Summary page. Crista

Shirlock

Shirlock Report 16 Aug 2003 22:13

Hello Christine look at the general links at the left hand side of this page it will help you to get started. The Shambles York 'WOW' sHIRLEY

*****me*****

*****me***** Report 16 Aug 2003 22:35

THANKS CRISTA, I'LL DO THAT.

*****me*****

*****me***** Report 16 Aug 2003 22:38

HI SHIRLY, "WOW" IS THE WORD!! I'VE NEVER HEARD OF IT EITHER! MAYBE IT DOES'T EXCIST NOW.

Unknown

Unknown Report 16 Aug 2003 22:44

Hi Christine, The Shambles is a Street in York. It earned its name because that was where the butchers worked. Metcalfes were Lords of the Manor in Askrigg, Wensleydale, Yorkshire, and one of them married one of my early rellies. Good luck. Jim

*****me*****

*****me***** Report 16 Aug 2003 22:54

THANKS JIM, TELL ME MORE! WHO MARRIED ONE OF YOUR EARLY RELLIES? GLAD I KNOW THAT THE SHAMBLES DOES EXCIST,I WAS BEGINNING TO WONDER IF IT WAS A MISTAKE.

Unknown

Unknown Report 16 Aug 2003 23:42

The one that springs to mind is James Wetherald who married Ann Metcalfe at Askrigg 23/10/1828 Jim

Crista

Crista Report 17 Aug 2003 09:56

Chris, Can you narrow down the year a bit? 1800s covers a lot. Crista

*****me*****

*****me***** Report 17 Aug 2003 12:00

thanks crista, i'll give it a go,and go from there, thanks for your help.