Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

1901 Census Decoder. Help Please

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Dave & Sally

Dave & Sally Report 17 Aug 2003 11:52

Have just downloaded census decoder and followed brilliant instructions left by John. just one thing, am I right in thinking you have to press process research on each page of 10 people found. Also, I know that nine of these people lived in one house having paid the fees, they do not show with a grey colouring automatically. What am I doing wrong ??

mo

mo Report 17 Aug 2003 16:07

after you have processed your results press show results and thengroup by page ids

Mystified

Mystified Report 17 Aug 2003 18:27

David It is best to show 30 results as there are then less pages to process. Yes you have to process every page. Re the colouring I am not sure what you are doing? It is the internet after all and is not always perfect. SOmetimes even the Govt. site isn't either. lol John

Dave & Sally

Dave & Sally Report 17 Aug 2003 18:35

Thanks john. How do I show 30 per page? Thanks for the idiot guide to decoder, it really helped. I was never brave enough to download it before Sally

Mystified

Mystified Report 17 Aug 2003 19:18

Go to the bottom of advanced person page. It gives you the option to do 10,20, or 30 Re the decoder,at first I was the same, then figured it out eventually. Then saw others having same prob. so I wrote instructions on Word in case. I get so much fun from it and it does save money. :o) John

Maxine

Maxine Report 17 Aug 2003 19:25

Hi David After I have my file, I always save my file as an excel file, \i find it easier to manipulate in that form ,plus it is easier to use colour in a more constructive way to highlight your choices. Regards Maxine

Martin

Martin Report 17 Aug 2003 22:31

I always save as EXCEL, CSV and GEDCOM as they all can be useful in different ways. I use LEGACY as mu family tree program. I can open the GEDCOM file in a second window and then drag an individual across from 1901 then either keep as a new person or merge into an existing person. Martin