Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

where is my birth mother?

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Colleen

Colleen Report 17 Aug 2003 13:15

Hi, trying to find info regarding my birth mother who's name at the time was Gillian Williams aged 14! I was born in Oxford 01/01/1969 she gave me up for adoption and i was fostered in Shrivenham, Wilts - briefly, before being adopted.

Maxine

Maxine Report 17 Aug 2003 13:19

Hi Colleen Have you put a posting on the "Trying to find board" That way anyone looking up her surname will see there is a message attached the "Williams" and look at it. Regards Maxine

George

George Report 17 Aug 2003 13:26

Have you tried friendsreunited George

Lynne

Lynne Report 17 Aug 2003 13:52

Colleen Try contacting the local social services who should give you information on how to go about tracing your birth mother. They may even have been contacted by her as there is usually a Contact Register for birth parents to leave their details in case the 'child' wants to trace them. You can also apply for your original birth certificate from the GRO at Southport. Give them all the information you have. Hope this helps. Lynne Sale CHS

Elizabeth

Elizabeth Report 17 Aug 2003 16:50

Hi, The GRO won't issue your original birth certificate directly, you will have to go through your local social services, who will liaise with the GRO and the social services for the area where you were born. I can also recommend the services offered by Joan Allan at myfolks(.)co(.)uk who charges expenses only to search for lost family members - she is wonderful and can work miracles. Good luck in your search, Liz STS

Mike

Mike Report 17 Aug 2003 17:39

You will be able to get a copy of your original (non-adoptive) birth cert. from the Register Office in Oxford in the usual way, assuming this is where your birth was registered. You have your d.o.b. and your birth mother's surname - was this your birth surname also? If so, and if you don't already know it, it should be easy to find your birth forename(s) from the published registers.

Elizabeth

Elizabeth Report 17 Aug 2003 17:54

Hi again, People adopted prior to 1975 will not be given access to their birth records, including birth certificate without social services intervention. This in in accordance with the 1976 Adoption Act and is law. For more information please see http://www.statistics(.)gov(.)uk/registration/Adoptions/AdoptionAccess(.)asp I know this from personal experience, but the social services were very helpful and I was reunited with my lovely mum and dad after 37 years apart, after only a few weeks. Good luck, Liz STS