Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

old maid.

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Rosi

Rosi Report 19 Aug 2003 23:23

o dear. I think I have a rellie, Ellen Lindsey, spinster, aged 71 on the 1881 Census, who was a visitor to Frances Reynolds -2nd wife of my gggfather. Said gggfather was elsewhere and with his grandson. However, I cannot find a birth for Ellen Lindsey, nor a death, and as she didn't marry..... it seems such a wasted life. I would like to prove she had the same parents as my gggfather, bit IGI & batch nos don't help. She would have been gggf's older sister. How can i progress further?

Pamela

Pamela Report 19 Aug 2003 23:39

Rosi, Why do you think she was your grandfather's sister if they have different names? Could she be a relative of his second wife since she was visiting when her`brother' was away. The census gives a place of birth, (assuming she gave the correct one) and the relevantparish records may just not be on IGI, but available somewhere else where you could check them. Have you looked for her age 91 on the 1901,(not impossible) and where did you look for her death? FBMD isnt complete and since presumably she isnt alive now her death will have been registered somewhere. Pam

Rosi

Rosi Report 19 Aug 2003 23:47

Pamela I am so sorry. I, and dryred, have misled you. She was visiting Frances Lindsey. (Reynolds is another branch and closely connected). The census says 'sister' - but Frances was a widow called Anderson before she married gggf. I have the marriage Cert. Ellen Lindsey was a witness at gggf's first marriage to Sarah Baker in 1843. Has this cleared the mud? Rosi

Rosi

Rosi Report 19 Aug 2003 23:50

Also - to further answer your query- I cannot find her on 1901, and have checked 1837 as well as freebmd. Ancestry i don't think will be helpful.Or will it? Rosi

Margaret

Margaret Report 20 Aug 2003 01:04

Rosi Ellen isn't on the 1891 census either, just checked it. Margaret

Crista

Crista Report 20 Aug 2003 02:18

Rosi, You can either wait for updates to FreeBMD or start going through 1837 online. Seems she must have died by 1891 so start looking at death records for the years that have poor coverage on this graph: http://freebmd.rootsweb(.)com/progress.shtml 1881, 1882, 1884, etc. Crista