Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Why should someone change their surname?

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

June

June Report 20 Aug 2003 11:16

I have been looking for my Grandfather (Stephen Harrison) for over 12 months, I am now pretty sure that he was born Stephen Muxlow. He is on the 1881 Census as Stephen Harrison age 24. I have looked at criminals but not come up with anything, as anyone got any ideas as to why people change their surname? June,Nr.Preston.Lan.

Paula

Paula Report 20 Aug 2003 11:21

The only reason I can think of is because his parents divorced - although back then it is hard to imagine - although not impossible. I had an aunt & uncle who divorced, their children were in their 20's, and they changed their surnames to their mother's maiden name!! Can't understand it myself - but it is possible! Could this have happened to your relative? Hope it helps Paula

Angela

Angela Report 20 Aug 2003 11:45

June, my great grandfather was Frederick Pentecost. He had some sort of row with his parents and left London and changed his name by deedpoll to Baker. On his marriage certificate it even says his father's name was Baker when I know for a fact it never was!! So maybe this could be a possible explanation for your grandfather? I have never really understood it myself, why anything could make you that angry to want to change your name?! But nothing surprises me with my ancestors any more!!!

Maxine

Maxine Report 20 Aug 2003 11:56

Hi June It may also be the case that he wished to change his identity to avoid debt, possibly conscription, and it is still possible he may have been a criminal (just a very good one that never got caught!). Of course the family options mentioned above are probably far more likely(if a little less exciting!!!) Regards Maxine

mab

mab Report 20 Aug 2003 12:12

June, perhaps his father married his mother after his birth and registration?

Joanne

Joanne Report 20 Aug 2003 12:31

Hi I changed my surname at the age of 2 but not officially, my mother remarried and I took on the surname of my step dad and then at 25 did a Statutory Declaration confirming that I was known by my new surname for legal purposes. Whereas my sister changed her's by deed poll to our step dad's surname at 18 to get a loan. I recently got married and to ensure all of the names tied up on my marriage certificate, my known as was featured with my birth name in brackets. Bit complicated - I know. Hope this is of some use to you Jo (now known as another name through marriage).

Gary

Gary Report 20 Aug 2003 20:34

I have a similar situation: 1881 James Harvey living with parents. 1891 Disappeared without trace. 1891 November marries as James Littlewood sone of William Harvey, mother is witness to the wedding. 1901 Still James Littlewood living with parents. Census states he is son of William Harvey. My deduction is that he is the son of Sarah born before marriage. In 1881 census William Harvey recorded him as his son. Later he used the name he was born with. So my guess with yours is he was born out of wedlock. Gary

June

June Report 22 Aug 2003 09:36

Thanks everyone for your replies. I have made a little progress, Stephen was living with his sister and her husband in 1881 (on census as Stephen Harrison)in Derbyshire. I have found his mother and father (Muxlow) on the 1881 census, still living in Lincolnshire. He has 5 brothers and one sister that as yet, I haven't found. They too could have changed their name,I suppose. I really would like to see the 1871 census. Anyway thanks again. June,Nr.Preston.Lancs

George

George Report 22 Aug 2003 10:36

I have the census surname index for 1871 Louth and Caistor districts. I did a quick look and there is a Muxlow in the Caistor index RG10/3423 FOLIO 7, which i believe is Market Rasen.Also there are Mucklow RG10/3417,folio's 40 and 41, i believe they are in Stallingborough. Again Mucklow at Kelstern RG10 3406 folio 14. I don't know where you live or if you have access to the Lincolnshire census in London. Let me know if not and if i get chance i will look in the local library for you. Sorry just seen you are in Preston. George

June

June Report 22 Aug 2003 13:13

Thankyou George, His parents are Thomas & Annie Muxlow Census Place - Ancaster, Lincoln Family History Film - 1341771 PRO Reference - RG11 Piece/Folio - 3233/132 Page No. 26 Do you know if the 1861&1871 Census are available to buy. I have a feeling I'm going to be researching Lincs. as well as Derbys, Notts, Worcester and Shropshire. Thanks again. June,Nr.Preston.Lancs.