Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Help: adding children - to 1 parent

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Elizabeth A

Elizabeth A Report 21 Aug 2003 23:19

Hi there, On GC, is there a way of showing illegitamate/step children to 1 person and not be shown as child of other person? Hope this makes sense. Liz

Anna

Anna Report 21 Aug 2003 23:25

Snap ,I have this too.A lot more families in this day and age have single mothers etc. I have 2,how do we record them ??

Kathleen

Kathleen Report 22 Aug 2003 02:15

You can add a child without adding a partner. Although this will show on your tree as a child of the mother with an attached 'Father' there will be no details for the father. Sorry can't think of a better way to explain.

Elizabeth A

Elizabeth A Report 22 Aug 2003 03:29

Hi Thanks for the reply - will certainly give it a go. Thanks again Liz

Elizabeth A

Elizabeth A Report 22 Aug 2003 03:34

Hi again Must be something to do with the hour - added a child and clicked on immediate family - it shows the partner of mother as being father - can I change that? Liz

Angela

Angela Report 22 Aug 2003 05:31

Yes, although I think you might have to delete the child and add them back again. As above to stop this happening you at least need to have a "dummy" father. When you add the child you can then choose the correct father.

Genes

Genes Advisor Report 22 Aug 2003 07:03

If you go to the Help pages of the site and look under Building Your Family tree you will find the answer there about what to do if the parent's details are different/unknown. If you have any problems then please contact the support team.

Elizabeth A

Elizabeth A Report 22 Aug 2003 09:19

thanks to everyone Liz

Janet

Janet Report 22 Aug 2003 16:27

My great grandmother had a child when she was a young widow, but before she remarried, so I gave her an extra spouse First Name "Not", Surname "Known" - the child now appears on my tree as Father Not Known, which is just what I wanted. Jan.

Elizabeth A

Elizabeth A Report 22 Aug 2003 23:10

Thanks Jan.