Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

RESULT!!! Trying to locate my Chinese grandfather

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Sarah

Sarah Report 22 Aug 2003 10:11

Hi, I have one really huge request here, I am trying to locate the grave of my husbands grandfather Ah Sze Yang (although we believe his birth name was Lin Ko Lin). Ah Sze died on the 14/12/1965 in Aintree Hospital, Fazakerley aged 55years. At the time of his death he was living at 15 Prince Albert Gardens, Liverpool and was working as a hairdresser. Unfortunatly though we do not know which cemetary he was buried in. My Husbands grandfather came over to England as a young man, married an English lady called Doris May Rushton and had several children (we also have no buriel details of Doris). We know very little about him, but we have been told that if we locate the grave, that it may tell us where he came from and also that it may have the Chinese Symbol of his name written on the headstone. Is there anyone who may be able to help me locate the grave? I understand that this may not be easy, but any information we can find would be brilliant! Thank you for your time, Best Wishes Sarah

Brian

Brian Report 22 Aug 2003 10:45

Have you tried to calling the liverpool cemeteries directly someone on the message board said she spoke to them directly and they gave her lots of info, even about other anme relatives. Hope this helps. Bri Liverpol/Leeds

Sarah

Sarah Report 22 Aug 2003 11:27

Hi, I have just tried phonning the cemeterys, but unfortunatly they wont allow you to phone them direct. Apparently 'Liverpool Direct' (0151 233 3000) have taken over all cemetery enquiries and they will only deal with request in writting and they want to charge you a fee for doing so..... grhhhhh!!!!! The ususal money making scheme!!! I have just spent 36pounds on obtaining certificates, so I think this one is going to have to wait until next month. Well thank you anyway for your help...any other suggestions would be really appreciated. Best Wishes Sarah

Angela

Angela Report 22 Aug 2003 12:30

I had a quick look for you (sucker for an interesting story!) and some of these sites might help you- http://www(.)liverpool-ancestors(.)co(.)uk http://www(.)g0ifk(.)u-net(.)com/ http://www(.)liverpoolpictorial(.)co(.)uk/stjames/ At least they might tell you where he is NOT buried and maybe it is worth contacting some of the people who run the sites... worth a shot.

Sarah

Sarah Report 22 Aug 2003 13:19

Hello again, Thank you for your help, I have sent out a number of emails to different cemetery contacts, so fingers crossed they might be able to put me in the right direction. As I said before, any suggestions or ideas are fully appreciated! Many thanks Sarah

Helen

Helen Report 22 Aug 2003 14:42

Undertakers sometimes make their records available to the public. Have you tried contacting any in the area? As you know the exact date of death, it wouldn't take them too long to check the records so they may be willing to do this for you. A local undertaker in Stocksbridge near Sheffield has donated his records 1906-1973 to the local library, perhaps something similar has happened in Liverpool?

Sarah

Sarah Report 22 Aug 2003 16:43

Helen, Thats a really good Idea, I shall get onto that straight away, I would have never thought of that 1 in a million years. Angela, I have also looked at those websites and I have found a really kind lady that is going to check out Anfield's and Everton's Cemetery sometime next week...so I am getting somewhere now. There seems to be an awful lot of cemeterys in Liverpool, so I wont get too excited yet! Thanks again...all your help is really appreciated!!!! Best Wishes Sarah

Sarah

Sarah Report 23 Aug 2003 15:57

just to get me back up the top again...cheeky I know!!!

Sarah

Sarah Report 24 Aug 2003 12:20

Just a quick not to say thank you to you all!!!...today I recieved an email from a Lady called Sheila who is part of the http://www(.)liverpool-ancestors(.)co(.)uk website, and she has managed to locate the grave of Ah Sze Yang and his wife Doris May. She has also sent us digital photos of the gravestone, that have Chinese symbols engraved on them, which we have been told may hold the answers to where in China he came from!!!!!! I have forwarded the photo onto a Chinese contact in Liverpool, and hopefully soon we will have some answers! My husband and I are extremly grateful to you all for your help and advice. Thank you for helping us nearly solve a very big family mystery!!!! Best wishes and Kindest Regards, Sarah

Kathleen

Kathleen Report 24 Aug 2003 12:31

Really delighted for you Sarah, Kathleen

Angela

Angela Report 24 Aug 2003 13:21

Really pleased to hear that!! I always like to hear how these things turn out.

Maxine

Maxine Report 24 Aug 2003 17:02

So Glad you got an answer on this Sarah - congratulations

MaggyfromWestYorkshire

MaggyfromWestYorkshire Report 24 Aug 2003 19:05

Well done Sarah, thats what GenesConnected is all about! Maggy, West Yorkshire

Helen

Helen Report 24 Aug 2003 19:23

Sarah That's great news. Don't fancy your chance of finding details of his Dad back in China though. I imagine that will be a really difficult task!

Keith

Keith Report 24 Aug 2003 21:35

Nice one Sarah, that's really good news for you, and well done GC