Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Tricky 1891 lookup

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

George

George Report 22 Aug 2003 23:08

Hi This might be a tricky one, I'm looking for a Margaret,25yrs and her 5yr old daughter called Sarah. Both were born in Alston,CUL. In 1901 that is where they were living. Hope someone can help George

Stan

Stan Report 23 Aug 2003 01:40

Hi, George This is tricky. Having tried all Margarets aged 24, 25 and 26, with birthplace Alston, none has a daughter Sarah. Having tried all the Sarahs aged 4, 5, and 6, with birthplace Alston, none has a mother Margaret. If we leave out the birthplace the search will become too big. Any suggestions anybody for an alternative search path? Here's hoping. Stan Driver

George

George Report 23 Aug 2003 10:59

In 1901 my ancestor Thomas Little was recorded as being married to her. I've located him in 1891 as a single guy lodging in Elswick, so this indicated that Margaret had either been married before or her child was illegitimate. Her occupation in 1901 was Filegraphist. George

George

George Report 15 Sep 2003 21:52

anyone

Andy

Andy Report 15 Sep 2003 22:44

I'll have a look for you. Andy.

Andy

Andy Report 15 Sep 2003 22:57

George, I've tried looking at this from another angle. I did a search on FreeBMD and found a marriage in Alston, June quarter, 1893 between Thomas Little and Margaret Ann HALL When I looked on the 1891 census, I found Margaret Ann Hall and she is aged 25. Unfortunately, there's no sign of a young daughter called Sarah, and Margaret is listed as single. I did a search for a Sarah Hall but nothing matched. So, I don't know if this is the right Margaret or not. Andy.

George

George Report 15 Sep 2003 23:02

Where was Margaret born? the child could be with relatives I suppose. George

Andy

Andy Report 15 Sep 2003 23:08

She's listed as being born in Nenthead, which I believe is the next village to Alston. She's living above the Post Office in Alston. Here are the details: Hannah HALL, Head, Widow, 67, born Nenthead Stephen HALL, Son, Single, 30, Postmaster & Lead Smelter, Nenthead Margaret Ann HALL, Daughter, 25, Telegraphist, Nenthead Newman HALL, Grand-son, 6, Scholar, Nenthead Ah, now didn't you say Margaret was a telegraphist in one of your posts? Andy

George

George Report 25 Sep 2003 12:08

It matches, Thanks George