Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Help for a beginner please

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Sarah

Sarah Report 23 Aug 2003 18:00

I'm new to all this, what sites do i use to get the census , births, deaths, etc. There seems to be so many, lots of american ones, i don't mind subscribing if i know it's a good site etc. Any help, tips would be greatly welcomed Sarah

Unknown

Unknown Report 23 Aug 2003 18:08

Hi Sarah, Have you tried the links on the left? Post the details on here of where you are having problems or anything you would like help on. There are loads of really helpful people on these boards. Good Luck Regards Margaret

David_Vickers

David_Vickers Report 23 Aug 2003 19:08

Hi Sarah, What sites you find valuable will largely depend on which country you are researching. If you are trying to find ancestors in England and Wales it is worth trying www(.)freebmd(.)rootsweb(.)com to see if births, marriages and deaths are there. If not you should be able find the GRO references on www(.)1837online(.)com which is a pay to view site. Once you have a certificate reference you can order the certificate online from www(.)col(.)statistics(.)gov(.)uk . If you're researching the mid 19th century or earlier, the International Genealogical Index is available at www(.)familysearch(.)org. But you need to be careful with this site as some information is submitted by relatives and is not always accurate. The IGI is a good finding aid and should give you information to help you track down ancestors on other sites. The 1881 Census for England and Wales is also on this site - and it's all free! Remember to take out the brackets in the website addresses. For some reason, this site doesn't like the addresses without the brackets. If you would like to post specific areas of interest on this board, I'm sure somebody will be able to point you in the right direction. David

Sarah

Sarah Report 23 Aug 2003 21:04

Thank you for your help, much appreciated x

Keith

Keith Report 23 Aug 2003 21:36

Hi Sarah. Try looking at www(.)familysearch(.)org without the brackets. Lots of info and advice. Good hunting. Keith