Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

1891Census look up for Salford

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Melba64

Melba64 Report 27 Aug 2003 21:00

My gr Grandfather, Joseph Jones, is listed at 7 Victoria Bridge St, Salford in 1881 and 1901. 1881 aged 40, married, Occupation: Corn Factor. Several children, including a 2 month old and Housekeeper, but no wife. By 1901 he is widowed with four more children, the youngest being 3 yrs old. I believe his wife's name was Margaret but that is all I know. 1891 details for that address might help me a bit. Please can anyone help. Melanie Jones.

Lynda ~

Lynda ~ Report 27 Aug 2003 21:15

Hi Maeanie Here goes 9 Victoria Bridge Street There is no wife Joseph Jones 50 Head corn Dealer Joseph " 19 son " " asst Elizabeth 15 daugh William " 12 son Edwin " 10 daugh Rebecca " 9 " Rosella " 7 " Frederick " 5 son Horace 8mnths " Mary Abbot 32 servant Lynda

Vera

Vera Report 27 Aug 2003 21:43

Melanie Found your Joseph Jones as follows: RG12 3216/77b 9 Victoria Bridge Street, Salford Joseph Jones, h,m,50, Corn Dealer, Manchester Joseph Jones son.u.19,Corn dealers assistant, Manchester. Elizabeth Jones dau.u.15, at home, Manchester. William E Jones, son,u,12, scholar, Manchester. Edwin, son,u,10, Manchester Rebecca, dau,u,9, Salford Rosella, dau,u,7, Salford Frederick,son,u, 5, Salford Horace son,u,8 mths, Salford and Mary Abbott, serv,u,32, domestic servant, Manchester. NO WIFE listed. Even looked at the neighbours but no-one called Jones there either. Mystery - where is the mother as her youngest is only 8 mths old? Was she in hospital or at a relatives? Or did she die in childbirth as she is not on the 1901? Check out the deaths between 1890 and 1901 on Free BMD. Hope this helps. Vera Manchester

Vera

Vera Report 27 Aug 2003 21:44

'Snap' Lynda !

Melba64

Melba64 Report 27 Aug 2003 21:45

Does it have the marital status of Joseph Jones and Mary Abbott? In 1881 he was married and she was single and in 1901 they were both widowed.

Melba64

Melba64 Report 27 Aug 2003 21:51

Thanks Vera. As it says Joseph is married his wife must be somewhere. I was asking the same question about 1881 when the youngest child was Rebecca at 2 months old. I will try the deaths listings you recommend but I feel his wife must be around somewhere. I am trying to find out her maiden name. My mother gave us all a baby book with a family tree in it when we were born and mine just has her down as Margaret. Dad doesn't know anything about the family as his dad died when dad was only 5. My aunty didn't even know her grandparents names until I told her. Melanie

Vera

Vera Report 27 Aug 2003 22:21

Melanie My g grandfather is listed on the 1881 census as unmarried with 2 children, ages 1year and 1 week! His housekeeper is listed as married with a 3 year old daughter. On sending for the 1 year old's birth cert (my grandfather) I discovered that the Housekeeper was HIS MOTHER and the mother of the 1 week old, too. The 3 year old was from a previous marriage - and I have not found a marriage for them so I 'assume' that they never married as she was never divorced. This may be a long shot, but worth thinking about - is the servant Mary Abbot the mother of at least 3 of the children listed on the 1891 census? Did the first wife die, or left him (perhaps before 1881 census) and he co-habited with the servant Mary Abbot but never bothered to marry her as she was so much younger than he? You never know in this lark. One way to find for certain is to send for a few of the children's birth certs (say the last, 3rd to last, 5th to last)- expensive, I know, but they may answer a whole lot of questions. Vera Manchester

Melba64

Melba64 Report 27 Aug 2003 22:28

Vera I was making a connection with the housekeeper but I am not certain. I think you are right about getting birth certificates if this is possible. My grandfather was William, one of the older children so I would like to find his birth certificate and see what that shows as well as one of the younger children. I have tried looking for my dad's mother's family and this has brought up a few interesting things so I am very open minded. Not sure about my dad and aunty though. Maybe I should keep my suspicions to myself for now! Melanie

Melba64

Melba64 Report 28 Aug 2003 20:30

Does anyone have access to any Census records earlier than 1881? Maybe the wife will turn up on one of them. Although the search on 1891 came up with 9 Victoria Bridge St both the 1881 and 1901 records say 7 Victoria Bridge St so if both these addresses could be searched for I would be grateful. This is driving me mad so I hope someone can help me find the mother of my grandfather. Thanks. Melanie.