Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Sorry to offend

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Laurie

Laurie Report 29 Aug 2003 22:04

Hi, I would just like to say that I'm sorry if anyone has taken offence when a look up has been posted by myself or others out there. I can't sign up for some sites like Ancestry and wish I could but until they update their methods on how to pay then it will cause a few of us to hit an occasional brick wall. I like to try and help as many people as I can, when I first started on this site I tried to do everything myself and found it impossible. I like to think that at the end of the day that we are all here for the same reason and what the hell if someone needs a bit of help. If I can help I will. Laurie

Linda

Linda Report 29 Aug 2003 22:08

Well said Laurie,this site has been very useful Most people are quite happy to help especially if they are stuck as I am now waiting for certificates before I can get any further.

Rosemary

Rosemary Report 29 Aug 2003 23:40

Hi Laurie, don't worry about offending anyone, I am sure that the majority of us will help you if we can, I think that it is nice that we all try to help each other.

**Dawn O**

**Dawn O** Report 30 Aug 2003 00:18

Hi Laurie, I have the likes of you and many more friendly & helpful members, to 'THANK' because without your own time and help, I would of NEVER got as far as I have now, with my Family researching. This is what this site is all about, I do try to do my little bit too (helping someone along). No offence taken...........Happy Hunting everyone?!?! Regards, Dawn.

Andy

Andy Report 30 Aug 2003 00:37

Laurie, People are always going to have differing opinions no matter what, but at the end of the day, if you don't ask, you don't get. I've helped out people with look-ups and have received a few, whenever I've needed them, in exchange. I'm happy with this give and take arrangement, as I get as much joy out of helping someone as I do when it's reciprocated.

Patricia

Patricia Report 30 Aug 2003 11:23

hi laurie I often ask for help, it personal choice if a person wishes to assist, fortunatly i have had help from very kind people and the more i gain experience i try to help others. To be honest with a complex hobby like this we all need a little help, so everyone that does help keep up the good work we do appreciate it. Dont be worried about asking for help some kind soul will try to assist.

Maxine

Maxine Report 30 Aug 2003 12:04

Hi Laurie Don't worry I think the people who take umbridge at requests for look ups are in a fairly small minority. I am also in a situation where I am not able to subscribe to the likes of Ancestry and I can understand how some of the posts would leave you feeling unsettled, I was a little taken aback myself. I can only say that If I ever get access- you'll be more than welcome to ask me! As it is I have discovered my local records office, and although it is taking me a little time to learn the ropes, and the best way to access info there - and I have really enjoyed it. I will be going back regularly from now on. I have found the people here to be fantastic, helpful and friendly, and I have continued to recommend GC to anyone that will listen! Don't be disheartened Regards Maxine

Pinkie

Pinkie Report 30 Aug 2003 12:08

hi i agree with everything my mum always said if you dont ask you dont get,i could'nt have got as far as i have without the help off people on here, i hope that i can help someone one day. tinax