Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Help!!!!!!!

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Allie

Allie Report 31 Aug 2003 19:48

I am at a loss as to where to go from here. I have GGrandfather Kenrick Wilson, b:1854 in Whitchurch, Shropshire. I found alot of info on the LDS site, the 1881 census and the IGI. However when I looked on the 1901 census decoder I have found 2 Kenrick's. Both born the same year, place, both doing the same job. One is in the parish of Wem and the other in Shrewsbury, St Mary. The one in Wem lives alone and the other has a family that doesnt seem to fit with what I have learnt from the 1881 census. Is it possible that there are 2? I thought that Kenrick might be quite an unusual name. If not, is it possible for a person to be counted twice?

Maxine

Maxine Report 31 Aug 2003 19:53

Hi there I used to live in Wem, and I have heard the name Kendrick there. I would say it is probable there were 2, probably related in some way. Wem is 9 miles from Shrewsbury and 6 miles from Wkitchurch - if it helps Regards Maxine

Allie

Allie Report 31 Aug 2003 19:59

Thanks for that Maxine. Its actually the forename Kenrick that I am interested in. It seems to have run through the family for the last 3 generations that I know of so far. I live in Shrewsbury and know that he ended his days here but am confused by the info off the 1901 census. Thanks for the input though. I appreciate any help! Allie

Maxine

Maxine Report 31 Aug 2003 20:02

Hi there It was the first name I was refering to! I have also just remembered a chap in Penkridge with that first name. It was probably a family name - my Great great grandfather was called Smith Child- I don't think it was that unusual to use a surname as a christian name. Regards Maxine

Helen

Helen Report 31 Aug 2003 20:38

If you can afford it why not pay and have a look where Kendrick who lived alone spent Census night. You might find out it was a railway signal box and his wife entered him as being at home! There definately only seems to be one on 1881 so I would think he must have been counted twice.

Allie

Allie Report 31 Aug 2003 20:52

Thanks Helen, Thats what I thought. The only problem is that I know he married a woman called Emma Painter and I cant find her on 1901 census. Did she die and he remarry. Thats what I am looking at now. Thanks Allie.

Allie

Allie Report 31 Aug 2003 20:54

Amanda, Thats a b****er. I am hoping that I am not in the same position. Good Luck with your search. Allie

Helen

Helen Report 31 Aug 2003 21:00

Allison Haven't been able to find details of Kenrick with family on 1901 (even using decoder!)it just keeps saying narrow search. Post details on here so I can have a look, i.e. what are the names and ages of children? Those from 1881 have probably all left home so I assume he's now got another brood? Saw from IGI that another child Emma was born in 1882. Have checked deaths for this quarter just in case Emma the mother died in childbirth, but she's not on there.

Allie

Allie Report 31 Aug 2003 21:15

Helen, The one in Wem parish lives alone. The other has: Annie,38 B: Stafford West Brom Alfred,13, Newport,Shropshire Albert,7, " " Annie, 1 " " Thanks Allie P.s. By all accounts, it seem like he has remarried! I'm tearing my hair out here. I need to get some certs to verify facts. His son Herbert Kenrick Wilson was born 1901 so I need to get that first. This now is getting an expensive pastime, but I love it. Many thanks for all the help. Allie.

Helen

Helen Report 31 Aug 2003 22:06

No good news, but saved you a few pence. Worked backwards on 1837 site from Jun 1888 to Jun 1884 (credits ran out then!)and no marriage of Kenrick Wilson. Maybe he remarried after Alfred was born or maybe it was between Jun 1882 and Mar 1884.

Allie

Allie Report 31 Aug 2003 22:16

Helen, You are a star for even looking. Sorry you used up all your credits. Sadly I have found a death for Emma Wilson on free BMD but I am only guessing. Will keep hunting though! Allie.

Helen

Helen Report 31 Aug 2003 22:44

That's OK, they were due to expire in a few days and I haven't got anything I need to look up at the moment. I'm so hooked on this site that I have to help others when I'm at a brick wall myself. Another marriage certificate on it's way though, maybe I'll have something to do when it turns up next week...

Allie

Allie Report 1 Sep 2003 20:09

Helen, Sorry for not getting back to you last night but good luck with the cert and many thanks for your help. Also thanks to Robin for sending me the 1891 census for Kenrick and giving some useful info. Allie.