Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Duh - what is a parish register???

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Andrea

Andrea Report 6 Sep 2003 09:34

Yes, I really am that thick and I have been doing this for a year or so now I think. What is a parish register and what info will I find in it?? Hope it has given you all a laugh - but would appreciate a reply asap. Thanks

Gen

Gen Report 6 Sep 2003 09:38

Parish registers are registers of birth, deaths and marriages that occur in a particular parish, these are usually found at the church within the parish or in some cases have been moved to an historical archive. I THINK.. Best wishes Gen

Andrea

Andrea Report 6 Sep 2003 09:40

Thanks for that - and for replying so quick. I have been told by my local library that they have the parish registers - so I guess libraries hold them aswell. I just didn't know what they were and if they would help me any!! Thanks again.

Gen

Gen Report 6 Sep 2003 09:48

You are very welcome, hope you find some answers. Gen

Maz (the Royal One) in the East End 9256

Maz (the Royal One) in the East End 9256 Report 6 Sep 2003 11:58

Hi Andrea. You won't know until you know (eh) so you're not thick! Would recommend to anyone the book that I have. Should be in local library or you can buy for about £20. Called Ancestral Trails by Mark D Herber. It has EVERYTHING about tracing your family history in UK. Good for everyone from brand new starters to grizzled old campaigners like me. Maz. XX

Ann L from Darlo

Ann L from Darlo Report 6 Sep 2003 12:59

Andrea I am the daft one who visits cemetry's to see the bit of grass. But you don't know what you are missing if you have'nt looked at the register's especially as you need to back up what you find on the net!! And i have only been at it for 8 months, the net isn't always reliable. Take a look it's really interesting. Ann,Darlington

Ann L from Darlo

Ann L from Darlo Report 6 Sep 2003 13:00

PS how have you got 252 in your tree without backing up all the facts you have gathered?? Ann,Darlington

Christopher

Christopher Report 7 Sep 2003 20:39

Andrea, they are the Church records. You may find separate registers for different churches in the same town. Before 1837, when official registration started, I think they were all supposed to be handed in to the local records offices but, in fact, some weren't and are lost forever. In addition, the format of those that remain may differ according to 1) how keen the person compiling them was on recording the details 2) how well kept they were generally i.e. missing or torn pages etc.