Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

'The Good Old Days'

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Chelly

Chelly Report 6 Sep 2003 21:07

From the Daily Mirror 18.11.1911 A pathetic struggle to a crippled father and his family was told at the Battersea Coroners Court yesterday at an inquiry into the death of a girl of two named Rosie Ives. Afterwards the Daily Mirror visited the home and was told how the weekly budget was made up, the figures in pennies and halfpennies told more vividly than words can of a constant battle with hunger and want. Incapacitated by an accident three years ago, the father told the Court that the only means of support for himself, his wife and four children was a compensation allowance of 12s 9p per week, for which he had to pay 7s 6p a week in rent for four rooms. But six people cannot live on 5s 3p per week. You must have other means said Mr J Troutbeck the Battersea Coroner in amazement. I have one lodger who pays 2s 6p a week Which leave 7s 9p a week to live on No Money For Fireguard And said the Coroner there is no doubt this is a perfectly genuine case The Coroners office testified that he had visited the little home I found it very clean he said but with absolutely no furniture - nothing at all, and his wife is expecting another child today. In reference to the child Rosie's death the father said another child a boy of three was playing with a celluloid comb, they thought he must have dropped it near the baby, whose clothes became ignited, the childs screams attracted the attention of the mother who extinguished the flames with a mat. They did have a fire guard once but it became worn out, and they did not have the means to purchase another. An independant investigation by the Daily Mirror proved beyond doubt the genuiness of the pathetic plight of Ives and his family, a small meanly furnished house, the only luxury of which is its cleanliness. When the Daily Mirror called Mrs Ives a pale faced sad eyed woman in a delicate state of health was sitting on a wooden chair in the kitchen. The steel guard, kindly provided by the Coroner out of the poor box, was already infront of the fire. Pawned bedclothes, furniture,trinkets etc. Our food consisted of mainly bread and margarine for breakfast, dinner and tea. Meat we but 2lb of bits on a Saturday to make into a stew for Sunday and what is left over we have on Monday, etc etc. Good old days???? I think not

George

George Report 6 Sep 2003 21:09

Just shows how hard it was in those days. Sad story George

Twinkle

Twinkle Report 6 Sep 2003 21:13

The entire article is devoted to the family's suffering, the Coroner gives them a fireguard after the baby has died, and then people go back to their lives while the family still lives on 7d and bread and butter. Today there would probably be an appeal in their name put out.

Twinkle

Twinkle Report 7 Sep 2003 19:52

Hi Shirley, I received your email. I didn't realise it was about your relatives!

Sarah

Sarah Report 7 Sep 2003 20:32

And we think we've got it hard now. Sarah.