Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Where to now?

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Karen

Karen Report 7 Sep 2003 10:21

Hi Ladies & Gents Does anyone have any other ideas where to look next please. My nan was one of 13 children. I have managed to find the baptism records of 11 of them, can't find nan's which is a shame but do have her birth certificate so that makes 12 but number 13 is proving to be a problem. I have found the family in question on the 1881, 1891 & 1901 census but there is still one child missing. I have checked the surrounding church records for the addresses where they lived. It is said that the family adopted a child but where would I look for records? Do any records exist or was it an unofficial adoption? The last child born was in 1918 and he told his son that the adopted child was older than him. Do I give it up as a lost cause as there are no living rellies to ask, I can only go on hearsay and records. Any thoughts welcome Karen

Twinkle

Twinkle Report 7 Sep 2003 13:07

There was no official adoption until 1927, so there will be no records of it. The adopted child was probably born and baptised under a different name, which could be why you haven't been able to trace him/her. Have you tried looking at wills/family photos etc? If you're lucky, there may be a reference to a 'random' person who could be the adopted baby. Either that, or you can wait 10 years and hope they appear on the 1911 census!

George

George Report 7 Sep 2003 13:11

It is possible that the adopted child was related to the family,may be a nephew. I've recently discovered that my gg grandfather unofficially adopted his brothers son when his brother & sister in law died. Even though the boy had a stepmother. George

Karen

Karen Report 7 Sep 2003 14:20

Thank you ladies for you thoughts. Will have to investigate the wills idea a bit more and if all else fails be paitent and wait for the census. Best wishes Karen

Kim from Sandhurst

Kim from Sandhurst Report 7 Sep 2003 14:37

Karen, I really hope you have as much luck as I did finding the "adpoted" one. I went to Durham to trace my lot, and while I was there I was told, by someone in a pub, to go and see a guy who they thought would know about my rellies. This guy turned out to be the "adpoted" son! He was still using his original surname, so I couldn't find him under our name, but not only that, he had all the birth, marriages and death certs, photo's, the lot, going back to my gt gt grandmother. A chance meeting turned out to be fantastic for me. Kim

Karen

Karen Report 7 Sep 2003 18:32

Kim What fantastic luck you had. I am really pleased for you. It's so nice to hear about the success stories when most of us at one time or another get stuck. I'll keep plodding along with some suggestions that have been given and hopefully will have some good news of my own to report. Well done Kim. Best wishes Karen