Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Accidental death recorded?

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Joan

Joan Report 8 Sep 2003 04:59

Can anyone tell me if an accidental death would have been recorded in a newspaper in 1915 or thereabouts? My Grandfather was kicked in the head by a horse and died about the time my Dad was four yeards old.This happened in London. Will it state this on the death Cert. and how do I go about getting the info? I am in the States. Thanks for any help...Joan T

Tracey

Tracey Report 8 Sep 2003 07:51

Hi Joan, You'll find the British Library at www(.)bl(.)uk There's a telephone number there as well if you need more help. Good luck. Tarcey, Bolton

BrianW

BrianW Report 8 Sep 2003 10:35

I have just transcribed a newspaper report for my wife's grandfather, knocked off his bike and killed in 1928. This was from the local paper for the town where it happened.

Maz (the Royal One) in the East End 9256

Maz (the Royal One) in the East End 9256 Report 8 Sep 2003 13:15

Death certificate would tell you if there was an inquest or not. If you know the area, I have just bought a book that lists holdings of local newspapers so will check it for you. Maz. XX

Pamela

Pamela Report 8 Sep 2003 15:57

I think it is possible to get coroners inquest details from the court records of the area with jusridiction, these would probably be in the Metropolitain archive for London, again you need the death cert for the details. Pam

Janet

Janet Report 8 Sep 2003 16:12

My great grandfather was killed in an accident working on the railway in 1880 - crushed between the buffers - OUCH! That was recorded in the paper local to where the accident happened. I got a photocopy of the article from the nearest Council Offices, which was where the newspaper archives were stored. Everyone was very helpful, and I received the article almost by return. Jan.

Rosalind in Madeira

Rosalind in Madeira Report 8 Sep 2003 20:14

My 2 times great grandfather was killed falling off a hayrick, this was reported in a Worcester paper although the accident happened in Herefordshire. The death certificate only recorded accidental death, followed by a coroners inquest and not all coroners inquests have survived. Ros