Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

any ideas ?

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Jackie

Jackie Report 8 Sep 2003 12:00

cant seem to find my greatgrandparents on 1901 scottish census, i know they lived in glasgow, and had 2 children at that time i have all there names and dates of birth.have also tried different spellings of there names, but still no luck. finding them in the census would give me my greatgrandads place of birth,i need this to carry on my tree (think he was irish) anybody any ideas.tearing my hair out!

Twinkle

Twinkle Report 8 Sep 2003 15:08

Ahh, I have Irish relations who emigrated to Scotland too. What surname are you looking for? I found several mistakes in the census returns - when I looked at the actual image it seemed obvious to me, but I knew what I was looking at. The had one down as Lilda, a 31 year old scholar, living with her 45 year old father. They meant Matilda age 11. I also found a tendency to replace 'Men' surnames with 'McN'. All I can suggest is play around with spelling and sound-alike names. Presumeably Scottish officials found Irish accents hard to understand.

Jackie

Jackie Report 8 Sep 2003 15:41

hi kathryn, thanks for replying , i am hitting my head of a brick wall with this the name i am looking for is mccarroll although it was spelt with one L (mccarrol) at one time i have tried all different varients , have been looking since may. will just have to keep trying , thanks regards jackie

Twinkle

Twinkle Report 9 Sep 2003 14:05

scotlandspeople has registers of births until 1902, perhaps you could try searching using the children's first names, place and dates of birth? It might tell you which variation of the surname was in use?

Zoe

Zoe Report 9 Sep 2003 14:11

Jacqueline, I work in Glasgow so if I can make any visits for you that may help you out let me know. I'm not sure myself where the Scottish Records are kept as all my research is South of the border - but I'd be happy to go searching. Zoe

Jackie

Jackie Report 9 Sep 2003 14:41

thanks kathryn, but have also tried that with no luck. thanks zoe very kind of you .but i live in glasgow also .so will have to try and get to the mitchell library to see if they can help me,regards jackie

Zoe

Zoe Report 9 Sep 2003 14:44

Jacqueline, The Mitchell Library website says they have quite an extensive collection of family history material and a special Glasgow archives for tracing your genealogy. Hope you hit lucky - and do let us all know how good the library is. All the best Zoe

Debbie

Debbie Report 9 Sep 2003 14:51

Zoe or Jackie I have one scottish person in my tree and that is my great great granmother, I was wondering if anyone comes across the name Jane Naismith born c1857 in Glasgow but dont know where. she married a Charles Day but I cannot find their marriage. And How would I go about finding her birth I am stuck. Please any help at all. Kind regards Debbie

Zoe

Zoe Report 9 Sep 2003 15:27

Debra, have you troied the Scotland's People wesbite - I understand its very good. The other useful scottish website I know of is the BBC tracing your roots pages. Type Scotland census 1901 into google and its one of the first few pages that come up. That will give you ideas of where to start. should you need any legwork doing in teh Glasgow area let me know Zoe

Jackie

Jackie Report 9 Sep 2003 16:56

hi debra ive sent you a e-mail regards,jackie

Debbie

Debbie Report 9 Sep 2003 20:54

Thanks Zoe for the offer. And thanks Jackie for the email even though I havnt looked at it yet. Debbie