Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Birth details in Scotland

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Keely

Keely Report 10 Sep 2003 10:09

Hi, Im trying to find the birth details of my g,g,grandad. All I know is he was born in Scotland around 1845 and his name is James Scott. I have looked on freebmd, and a few other places but kind find anything. If he was born in Scotland would he definitley been registered there? Any suggestions on where to go next?

Zoe

Zoe Report 10 Sep 2003 10:35

Keely, Someone will correct me if I'm wrong here but I'm sure freeBMD only covers England and Wales. For Scottish births you'll need to go to Scotlandspeople website or maybe the LDS site

Keely

Keely Report 10 Sep 2003 11:22

Thanks Zoe, I did look on there yesterday, but you have too buy credits!! I just went back on there and had to buy some in the end! There is a few James Scott's there, for that year! This is all turning out to be quite an expensive hobbie!

Unknown

Unknown Report 10 Sep 2003 18:23

Hi Keely, I have sent you an e-mail. Regards Margaret

Chris

Chris Report 10 Sep 2003 18:35

Keely I know how you feel and I sympathise with you.I know my g,g,grandfather was born about 1830 in Scotland but none of the census's say where about in Scotland and with him having a common name it seems impossible to find the right one Chris

Suzy

Suzy Report 11 Sep 2003 12:32

Hi Keely Just a thought. Go back onto the Scotlandspeople site, view the images and print them off, if you can. At a later date you may find out that one of them is your relative. That's the beauty of this site; you don't have to fork out for certificates. Good luck!!

Keely

Keely Report 11 Sep 2003 13:06

thanks for the idea suzanne!

Unknown

Unknown Report 11 Sep 2003 13:13

Hi Keely, I have sent you another e-mail. Regards Margaret