Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Not on the 1901 Census!

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Gigi

Gigi Report 10 Sep 2003 14:39

I wonder if someone can suggest anything to find my missing relatives please! My granma Frances Slynn was born in 1898 in Newport Monmouthshire. I cannot find her, her brother Frank born 1900 or her parents Frank and Elizabeth on the 1901 census living anywhere in the UK. As there are not many Slynns, I was able to do a search on all Slynns. Any suggestions? Thanks, Gillian

Judith

Judith Report 10 Sep 2003 14:42

Have you tried searching for the surname Lynn? Or tried an advanced search without the surname, just using the first name, age, and place of birth as a keyword? If you try this, I would suggest looking for Frank as Frances could have been spelled as Francis. Judith

Gigi

Gigi Report 10 Sep 2003 14:53

Judith, Guess what! After trying many permutations, I finally found them listed as Slym!! Thanks, Gillian

Tracey

Tracey Report 10 Sep 2003 14:54

Hi Gillian, I found these names on 1901 under the name of SLYM:- Frank Slym, 30, born Worwicks, Birmingham, Railway Blacksmith. Bessie Slym, 32, born Totness, Devon. Annie Slym, 2, born Newport. Frank Slym, 8 months, born Newport. They were in the parish of Stourbridge. Hope they are the right ones. Good luck! Tracey, Bolton

Gigi

Gigi Report 10 Sep 2003 15:12

Tracey, Yes they are! My granma's middle name is Annie and her mother was listed as Bessie instead of Elizabeth!! No wonder they were tricky to find!! Thanks, Gillian

Judith

Judith Report 10 Sep 2003 21:07

I'm glad you found them. The 1901 is a great site but can be sooo frustrating! Judith