Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

JUST A THOUGHT

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Mary

Mary Report 10 Sep 2003 16:22

If you type in 1901 cenus data you get quite a lot of pages listed A to Z that have been corrected since it started that could be why some people cant find their familys etc.Just thought i pass this on although i suppose most of you knew this. Mary

Janet

Janet Report 10 Sep 2003 16:41

Mary No, I didn't know that! I've had a look and I certainly think it's worth a visit for anyone who's having problems tracing someone on the 1901 census. There appears to be some pretty awful errors they've found! It makes you realise just how many there still could be on the site! Thanks for the tip Janet

ஐ+*¨^¨*+e+*¨^¨*+ஐ Mildred Honkinbottom

ஐ+*¨^¨*+e+*¨^¨*+ஐ Mildred Honkinbottom Report 10 Sep 2003 16:46

PARDON ME FOR BEING A DIMWIT ! WHERE DO YOU TYPE IT IN? I TRIED ON MY ADDRESS BAR & MSN SEARCH HADDN'T A CLUE WHAT I WAS GOING ON ABOUT! ITS ME AGE I 'FINK ELAINE X

Janet

Janet Report 10 Sep 2003 16:50

You have to use a search engine such as Google or Yahoo! Jan

Janet

Janet Report 10 Sep 2003 16:51

Elaine Just type '1901 census data amendments' into your search engine. I used Ask Jeeves, but any will do. Janet

Mary

Mary Report 10 Sep 2003 17:11

Sorry you are having a bit of trouble but i just typed it in up the top nothing to hard because i would not have done it. Mary

Deborah

Deborah Report 10 Sep 2003 17:40

Thanks Peter, Great site. On the same result page check out the one headed Green Eggs Report for soc genealogy britain. List hundreds of web sites, some very familiar, but some I certainly didn't know about! (It's result 13 if you search with Yahoo) Debbie

Mary

Mary Report 10 Sep 2003 17:56

Deborah. My turn to thank you now with all these driffent sites to look at i might just have a bit of luck and find someone. Mary

ஐ+*¨^¨*+e+*¨^¨*+ஐ Mildred Honkinbottom

ஐ+*¨^¨*+e+*¨^¨*+ஐ Mildred Honkinbottom Report 11 Sep 2003 11:11

THANKS ALL IM ONLY A DIMWIT ON WEDNESDAYS (SOMETIMES THURSDAYS & FRIDAYS-------) ELAINE XX

Helen

Helen Report 11 Sep 2003 12:08

Some of the mistakes really made me giggle. One bloke's occupation was 'leech man'. Sounds disgusting, but actually he was a 'coach man'.

Jacqui

Jacqui Report 11 Sep 2003 13:53

Mary - you clever old thing you - will e-mail you when I get in to get the full story about this A-Z thing. I did notice on the 1901 one man's occupation listed as LIGHT WATCH MAN - did he only work days then?? Speak soon. Jacqui

Natalie

Natalie Report 11 Sep 2003 14:09

This is a good site - I'm pleased to know that some of the mistakes I notified them of have now been changed. I had relatives with the surname Snowsill listed as Snowdells! Natalie Surrey

Jacqui

Jacqui Report 11 Sep 2003 18:02

Fab site Mary - just the ticket. Couldn't find any of mine of course, but thats par for the course nowadays - I'm sure others will find their long lost though - some howlers on the errors. Also found a site showing statistics from the 1901 - the one I liked best was the one on Causes of death - interestingly only 4 males died in battle, 15 males were executed, 161 males were murdered, 39,000 died of respiratory disease and yet only 1417 females died of alcoholism - is there some moral in that tale? Jacqui - half way down a large red. ps - guess what? no males died in childbirth!!!

Twinkle

Twinkle Report 11 Sep 2003 20:11

Good grief, some of those errors are just plain daft. I sometimes think the transcribers had a commonsense bypass. One occupation was listed as 'Driver (sub mariner)' instead of diver. Surely that can't have looked right to the transcriber? The best mistake I found was in my own family in Scotland - a 31 year old school pupil, living with her 45 year old father. They were one after the other on the census page - maybe the transcriber hadn't drunk enough coffee that day!

Stan

Stan Report 12 Sep 2003 00:17

Hi Peter One of my great grandfathers was listed as a 'journeyman sailor'. I know he was a journeyman tailor. One of my other relatives was listed with surname James instead of Jones. I will certailnly look to see if they have done the corrections. Thanks for the info. Stan Driver

Margaret

Margaret Report 12 Sep 2003 00:30

Can I ask, how do you report errors? I assume you have to pay to either view the image or transcription as they want the page,folio etc. I have found at least two errors. I don't see why I have to pay to report their errors. Margaret

Barbara

Barbara Report 12 Sep 2003 00:32

I was told that a lot of this work was done over in India, so a lot of words might not have made as much sense to the transcribers. The frustrating thing is that even if you inform them of errors they do not list them all. My Reese family are listed as Keeves! It took me many attempts to find them as you can imagine! ther are still listed as Keeves nine months after I wrote to them!

N

N Report 12 Sep 2003 09:18

Margaret I wondered too about reporting errors where I did not know the piece/folio etc So I put n/k ( not known) in the fields that would accept them and 0 in the schedule. Don't know if they will follow them up but I left an email address so they can query them.

Janet

Janet Report 12 Sep 2003 09:45

Reading some of the comments on here, I'm not surprised so many people have 'missing' relatives from the 1901 census! Janet