Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

1841 Census Ages

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

BobClayton

BobClayton Report 10 Sep 2003 18:22

Remember when looking at the 1841 census that the age of people over 15 was rounded down to the next multiple of 5 (ie someone 23 was entered as 20)this caused me some confusion.

Twinkle

Twinkle Report 10 Sep 2003 20:05

I know that ages were rounded up for 15+, but what happens to those 14 and under? Were they not recorded?

Maz (the Royal One) in the East End 9256

Maz (the Royal One) in the East End 9256 Report 10 Sep 2003 20:25

They should be "accurately" recorded - i.e. 9 year old will show as 9 but a 19 year old would show as 15. Of course, the ages recorded are only those given by the head of the house and are notoriously inaccurate!! Maz. XX

Unknown

Unknown Report 10 Sep 2003 21:28

It doesnt seem to be the case always. Ive been going through 1841 and some ages are accurate or havent been rounded

Maz (the Royal One) in the East End 9256

Maz (the Royal One) in the East End 9256 Report 10 Sep 2003 21:47

Yes I have had some like that - even in the same village some are rounded and some aren't. Maybe it depended on whether the ennumerator chap had had enough for the night, or how many people had given him an ale on the way round!! Maz. XX

Dauna

Dauna Report 11 Sep 2003 07:54

does this explain why my ancestor was shown as 15 when he was nearly 20? Dauna