Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

A bit new at this ' HELP' please

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Sally Ann

Sally Ann Report 11 Sep 2003 12:25

How do I look up birth & death of my dad . I have never met ? sally ann

Angela

Angela Report 11 Sep 2003 12:34

You can get free information from freebmd, but, it's not complete. Try that first you can get the records from 1837.online, but, you have to pay.

Andrea

Andrea Report 11 Sep 2003 12:35

Hi Sally, It all depends on what you know about your father. I assume he will have been born AFTER 1901, in which case it is not quite as easy. There is the 1837 site (which you can access using the "links" option on the left side of the screen.) This is 5.00GBP minimum payment and you get 50 credits (so 10p per sheet viewed). This isn't bad so long as you know roughly when he was born otherwise it could end up being quite costly. You could also try using the "search" option, to see if he is already on the GC site somewhere, try the "trying to find" board or give us more details on this board to see if anyone can help you. Without details, we are a bit stuck to advise. Please let us know what information you have about him and we will see what we can do for you. Good luck in your research and don't be afraid to ask questions on here - we are a friendly bunch!

Sally Ann

Sally Ann Report 13 Sep 2003 14:24

Thank you for your help. His name Terry Hawkins ,DOB 1940- 41 IN BRIMINGHAM he also was in the army based in N.Ireland in 65 .

Rosalind in Madeira

Rosalind in Madeira Report 13 Sep 2003 14:59

Write to Birmingham register office, enclosing a cheque for £7 made payable to the superintendent registrar and enclosing a stamped addressed envelope, give as much detail as possible such as his parents names, his fathers name would have been on his marriage certificate. Good luck Ros