Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

LATERAL THINKING NEEDED

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

lindamic

lindamic Report 12 Sep 2003 14:44

FOR POSSIBLE MIS-SPELLING ON 1881 CENSUS I have tried every variation I can think of for the surname HURREN, without success. Can anyone come up with some suggestions for typos or mis-readings in the LDS transcription? I've tried different initial letter, changing vowels, Murray, Warren, etc., with no luck. The person I'm looking for is my GG Grandfather, William HURREN, aged about 37, French Polisher, his wife Sarah, age unknown and possible children Richard about 8 and John about 1 - there may well be other children too. In 1879 they were living at 18 Union Terrace, Holborn. By 1891 they were at 47 Whitfield Street, St Pancras. I can't visit records offices to see the original census records at present (two year old!) so any help would be much appreciated. Linda

Steph

Steph Report 12 Sep 2003 15:06

you could try just typing 'hurren' on surname ,then clicking exact spelling, no other details. that should bring up worldwide hurrens, including 1881 census listings. Check the bottom of that, if it says 'over 25' click on that and that should list all on the census.I just did that, and there were lots of william hurrens! good luck!, steph

Maz (the Royal One) in the East End 9256

Maz (the Royal One) in the East End 9256 Report 12 Sep 2003 15:12

Hi Linda, I have got the discs so will have a look for you this eve. Do you have any thoughts on place of birth for any of them?? Maz.XX

lindamic

lindamic Report 12 Sep 2003 15:30

Thanks for the replies so far! I got the 1891 address from the Post Office London Trades Directory - I don't have access to 1891 census. He is also still at 47 Whitfield Street at the 1901 census. He gave his place of birth in 1901 as Marylebone, but I haven't been able to track the correct certificate yet to confirm that. Wife Sarah had died by 1901. They were married 1867 in Bethnal Green. John Hurren was born Holborn 1879, but in 1901 he and brother Richard both gave place of birth as St Pancras! Linda

BrianW

BrianW Report 12 Sep 2003 15:37

I take it you've tried Hurrel.

Unknown

Unknown Report 12 Sep 2003 15:48

Have you tried the Heron alternatives? Heron, Herron, Herren or even Herring? Also some sites accept Wild Cards. H*r*n should give quite a scope. Jim

lindamic

lindamic Report 12 Sep 2003 16:52

Brian and Jim, Yes and yes! Also Hearn, Horne, Hurrey, even Harris. I think there's probably been an atrocious mis-spelling by LDS including a mis-read initial letter. On 1901 I eventually found a Tolmon family recorded as Johnson, so nothing will surprise me! Rosemary, Thank you so much for the 1891 look up. I'm sure that is them. In 1901 the household was: William K (should be J for Jabez!) Hurren 57, widower, French Polisher, b Marylebone Mary Ann 37, dau-in-law, widow, Housekeeper Dom, b St Pancras Elibett 19, daur, Dressmaker, b St Lukes Emily 17, daur, b St Pancras William (T or J) 13, son, b St Pancras William Samuel 18, son, b St Lukes Jane Eliz'th 2, daur, b St Pancras Sarah Renalds 50, widow, visitor, Charwoman, b St Pancras I was always unsure that the two Williams were both William senior's sons and now it turns out the older one is his grandson - thanks. I just wish they would all be a bit more consistent about where they were born! Still desperate to find them 1881! Linda (Sorry for the slow reply, there's children swarming all over the place here)

Maz (the Royal One) in the East End 9256 Report 12 Sep 2003 16:54

Hi Linda, success I think ... No 23 Union Buildings Leather Lane, St Andrew Holborn, London, Middlesex! William Hunen age 37 French Polisher born London Baker St Sarah Hunen age 36 born Bethnal Green Amelia Hunen age 13 born Leather Lane Eliza Hunen age 11 born Leather Lane Mary Ann Hunen age 5 born Leather Lane John Hunen age 2 born Leather Lane Ref is RG11 Piece 0341 Folio 96 Page 15 For reference I put in William H*n and trawled through for a French Polisher! Easier for me as I just used disc covering one area. Do you need the older children found, I can look for them if so. Hope this helps! Maz. XX

lindamic

lindamic Report 12 Sep 2003 17:05

What a star! I knew I needed some extra brains on this. I'm pretty confident they're the right people as my grandmother had said one of her father(John Hurren)'s sisters was called Amelia, but I hadn't found her previously. This now leaves me wondering where young Richard was, also the mystery older son who married and died before 1891. Why do results always raise more questions? Thanks again, Linda

Maz (the Royal One) in the East End 9256 Report 12 Sep 2003 17:06

Oh my God - hold the phone and sit down Linda!! Guess who is next door!!! 22 Union Buildings etc Amelia Lovell Widow age 63 born Bethnal Green John Lovell Son age 27 Painter born Shadwell William Hunen Grandson age 15 Painter born Leather Lane Jonah Hunen Grandson age 17 Bookfolder born Leather Lane Richard Hunen Grandson age 7 schoolboy born Holloway !!!!!!!!!! Suddenly thought that at age 7 Richard couldn't be far away so clicked on 'neighbours'. I am as excited as if they were mine!! Anyway, reference is the same as before. Hope you are smiling now Linda. Maz. XX

Janet

Janet Report 12 Sep 2003 17:09

Linda That's family tree research for you! Just think how BORED you'd be if you had ALL the answers!! Janet

Maz (the Royal One) in the East End 9256 Report 12 Sep 2003 17:15

Just for info there are 2 more Hunen households as follows:- 2 Farm Street, Kensington Mary A Hunen Widow age 47 Ironer born Holborn Frank Hunen Son age 7 born Notting Hill ref RG11 P 0026 F72 P29 12 Wolsey Road, Islington John Hunen age 49 occupation - none! born Islington Harriet Henrietta Hunen wife age 52 born London Harriet Elizh. Merryweather Hunen dau age 19 born Islington ref RG11 P 0252 F88 P46 May be nothing I know, but may as will give you the full info. Maz. XX

lindamic

lindamic Report 12 Sep 2003 17:16

That's amazing!!! Sarah Hurren's maiden name was Sarah Ann Lovell, parents William and Amelia. Thank you, thank you, thank you all, you lovely people! Have to go and cook now, Linda