Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

GRO lists - deaths in WW1 - no trace (apparently)

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

John

John Report 14 Sep 2003 15:06

Hello I recently sent off to GRO to get death certificates of 2 g-uncles who died in the 1st WW. They've done a search but found nothing - can anyone help please? From CWGC site, newspaper obituaries etc I've gleaned the following info: Percival Thomas Weir Stephenson, born 16/06 1887 in Tamworth to Thomas James and Elizabeth Stephenson. He was a private in 2nd Royal Fusiliers (London Regiment), his No. being 67458. He was killed in action in France on 26/10 1917. Craven Charles Stephenson, born 24/10 1888 in Tamworth to Thomas James and Elizabeth Stephenson. He was a private in 1st/5th Battalion, York and Lancaster Regiment, his No. being 31514. He was killed in action in Belgium (?) about 18/04 1918. What do I do next? Could anyone else look up the indexes for me or give me tips on how I might get their death certificates? The three places I usually look things up only have domestic BMD lists for GRO. All help gratefully received! John :o)

Shirlock

Shirlock Report 14 Sep 2003 20:04

Hello John, not sure if this will help you but I have just checked the leaflets section at the PRO and it says. Now available on CD Rom at the PRO and is searchable for Soldiers and officers died between 1914 - 1919. By name, Regiment.date. operational Theatre. place of birth. place of enlistment. cause of death. Theatre of war where soldier died and date of death. Gallantry medals if any may also be listed. Hope this is some use to you Shirley

John

John Report 14 Sep 2003 20:20

Shirley The CD Rom looks very interesting. I'll look on the PRO site for more details. Thank you. John :o))

John

John Report 16 Sep 2003 09:59

I'm expressing my thanks to Marion Dowling for looking up Pte Charles Stephenson at the FRC. She found his index number when the GRO couldn't! :-))) Does "1837" have records for war deaths in 1stWW?

Zoe

Zoe Report 16 Sep 2003 17:14

This might not be what's causing your problem, John, but it's worth noting that war deaths may be registered quite a bit later and therefore fall into a different quarter than the one you would expect. My g Grandfather died in August 1916 yet his death is registered in the December quarter. Zoe