Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

WR Yorkshire Help Please

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Ingrid

Ingrid Report 14 Sep 2003 19:10

Help: Trying get my family history together but am getting fed up. What I have so far: Father: Colin Joshua Croft (deceased) G Father Newman Cockcroft/Croft born c1893, Address 9 Druid Street, Clayton, WR Yorkshire. Occupation Manager Blind Institute North Bierley WR Yorkshire G Mother Lilian Cockcroft, nee Hoyes born c 1892. Address before marriage 8 Brecks, Clayton, WR Yorkshire. Her father was Henry Hoyes. Occupation Miner GG Father Joshua Cockcroft b 1870ish Same address as Newman. Occupation Gentleman Now, my grandfather was an interesting chap. Left Lilian in about 1928 and went off to USA. Only heard from during WW2 broadcasting to American Troops in Europe. He also changed the family name because he was also a concert painist and didn't like the name cockcroft. I am trying to find out who Joshua was married to and whether there were any other children other than good old Newman. Would be great if I could go back further before Joshua. Any help would really be gratefully received. Thanks

Gen

Gen Report 14 Sep 2003 20:01

Hi Ingrid, The nearest I can find age wise on 1881 census is as follows: HENRY COCKROFT 33 WARLEY YORK STONE MINER SARAH 34 THORNTON YORK JOSHUA 7 THORNTON YORK MARY ANN 5 THORNTON YORK HANNAH 2 THORNTON TINA 3M THORNTON YORK 2 PINCH BECK THORNTON IN BRADFORD YORK Does this seem likely. Gen

Stan

Stan Report 14 Sep 2003 23:47

Hi, Ingrid The 1891 census picks up the person you are looking for, but details are a bit different from what you might have expected: 9 Druids Street, Clayton (near Bradford): Joshua Cockroft, head, 44, Clogger, born Bradford; Mary Cockroft, wife, 35, born Clayton. No children listed. Joshua's birth date therefore 1846-1847, and his wife's 1855-1856. I hope this helps a bit. Stan Driver

George

George Report 17 Sep 2003 08:16

hi Ingrid, The 1871 census for 9 Druids street shows Samuel Cockcroft age 60 Clogger Born Bradford Mary Cockcroft Wife also a Clogger age 53 born Bradford, Joshua Son age 26 also a Clogger born Bradford, Mary daug age 15 Worsted weaver born Bradford, Samuel age 12 also a clogger born Bradford. The 1871 and 1891 Censuses have been Indexed by Surname by The Bradford and District F.H.S, There are a lot of Cockcrofts listed,but It would Take about 4 Hours to list them all, I will have alook for you if you send me some further details of addresses etc, Its also possible that the Bradford F.H.S have indexed other censuses. George