Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

duplication

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Melba64

Melba64 Report 16 Sep 2003 22:37

I know I have seen this type of question before but I can't find the answer. What do I do when I have relatives on my tree twice? The families link up in two places so a couple of my rellies have ended up on there twice and I don't know what to do about it. Help please!!!??? Mel

Paul

Paul Report 16 Sep 2003 22:45

I dont think this software can do much about it. When I have seen GC replies, they usually recommend creating two separate trees. A huge section of my tree lived in the same town for a couple of hundred years and I've seen the same surnames marrying into the family. I know it cant be long until I have the same problem. Hopefully they will update the software soon. I wonder what would happen if you imported your tree as a GEDCOM file? Paul

Melba64

Melba64 Report 16 Sep 2003 22:48

Hi Paul, I'm not that technical so I don't think I will do too much about it. I downloaded the software from the LDS website and that lets you add people already in your list but this doesn't which is how I have ended up with the people on it twice. Hope that makes sense! Mel

Paul

Paul Report 16 Sep 2003 23:20

Mel, I dont think you can do anything about it until they upgrade this site. With the same first names repeating every generation & with problems with multiple people the whole thing can be quite confusing. GC isn't the best Family Tree software - it's good at sharing information and finding links with others (and of course its free) - but it doesn't handle those little intricacies very well & and its not much use for recording source information. It may be worth considering using another bit of software too, and using GC for finding others and sharing ideas Paul

Melba64

Melba64 Report 16 Sep 2003 23:22

Thanks Paul. I think you are right. Mel