Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

what now?

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Shirley

Shirley Report 17 Sep 2003 08:41

I am trying to trace the marriage of Ellen Bunyan (nellie) to Frank Schofield. On their daughters birth cert registered 1st Jan 1900 St Georges Hanover Square they were married BUT I have gone through Freebmd and 1837 online until I am cross eyed trying all combinations of names. Ellen was born in Brill Bucks in 1879. He was born 1863. Any sugestions as to what to do next. I am off to work now for a break.

SueS

SueS Report 17 Sep 2003 10:14

Shirley it is just possible that they were married but not to each other....divorce was not an option for working people so they just lived together. I thought I had found her for you as there is a Nellie Healey Bunyan who married at Rugby in 1898 but no groom called Schofield. I thought this was her because the 1881 census has a Nellie H Bunyan age 2 born Newport Pagnell, Bucks living with grandma Maria age 84 and sister Florence age 4 and possibly single Mum Elizabeth and the Lodger is William Healey. What do you think? BTW, I suppose you found Nellie on the 1901 down as Kellie? hope this doens't make you more dizzy! good luck Sue

SueS

SueS Report 17 Sep 2003 11:02

Rosemary I think Shirley has gone to work for a rest! I found Frank and family on the 1901 in St John, London and his place of birth was down as Brill, Bucks. (Nellie was down as Kellie) Sue

Emma

Emma Report 17 Sep 2003 11:42

On the 1891 census there is a Nellie Bunyan 11 in Buckinghamshire as follows: Mary Ann Bunyan, wid, 50 Eliza Edith daur, 20 Jacob son, 17 Nellie 11 born Ham Green, Bucks. Living at what looks like 29 Dropshot Aylesbury. The same family in 1881 are: Thomas Bunyan pauper, mar, 53, Dorton Bucks Mary A Bunyan, pauper, wife, 42, Aylesbury Bucks Sophia Bunyan, pauper, daur, 14, Kingswood Bucks Elizabeth Bunyan, pauper, daur, 11, Kingswood Bucks Rachel Bunyan, pauper, daur, 5, Brill Bucks Jacob Bunyan, pauper, son, 8, Brill Bucks Ellen Bunyan, pauper, daur, 2, Brill Bucks Union Workhouse, Priest End, Thame, Oxford Hope this is some use. Emma.

Andy

Andy Report 17 Sep 2003 13:29

This is getting away from Shirley's original request but I spotted a Thomas Bunyan in the Priest End Union Workhouse in Thame on the 1891 census: Thomas Bunyan, Married, 73, born Bucks Dorton, Gardener Wondered for a moment whether this was Mary Bunyon's husband despite the fact that she's recorded as being a widow on the same census. Don't think it is though as this guy is 10 years older than the Thomas Bunyan living in the same workhouse in 1881. That would be some age discrepancy. Andy.

Shirley

Shirley Report 17 Sep 2003 19:07

Hi everyone, Just got home from work. Ellen (nellie) Bunyan was the 2 year old Born Brill, Bucks living in the workhouse. I also mixed her up with the other Nellie born the same year and actually traced the family way back before I realised my mistake. On the 1901 census they are listed as husband and wife with 1 year old daughter. He is 37 years old. He gave Brill as his place of birth as well but I thought he came from Yorkshire. I got the daughters birth certicate hoping for a clue and they are down as man and wife.

Shirley

Shirley Report 17 Sep 2003 21:58

Andy, Mary Ann could have been fibbing about being a widow as she has taken 2 years off her age.